Problems with Imac & Airport after Tiger Install

M

menace3054

I think my GF got a defective IMAC, but it continuoulsy has problems with the airport.. When she first got it, it had problems connecting. I just installed Tiger On her machine, and now it wont connect to the network. It recognizes it, but just says
"There was an error connecting to the network"

now shes ready to kill me because she thinks i broke it, any ideas?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Is the iMac the only computer not connecting to the Airport Base or do you have other computers that work just fine with it? Do you have any encryption enabled on the Airport Base? If so, disable it for now, and then see if it connects after that.

OP
M

menace3054

i tried disabling the encryption, still didnt work. Reset the modem, router, still didnt work. Then i hard-reseted the router and tried running steup from the imac, and it said there was an error trying to connect. so somethings up with that imac, this is the same problem it gave me when we first got it, but then magically went away until now.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe, you should try a different channel. You never know, if you might be getting a interference. Is the base station next the any cordless phones, cell phones, microwaves, because they will all operate on the same frequency as the router.

OP
M

menace3054

iWhat said:
Maybe, you should try a different channel. You never know, if you might be getting a interference. Is the base station next the any cordless phones, cell phones, microwaves, because they will all operate on the same frequency as the router.

its not like "near" anything, but there are cordless phones running in the house. i have the comp and the router set to interference robustness. i just opened the imac and tried reseating the airport card, i doubt it will do anything

OP
M

menace3054

menace3054 said:
its not like "near" anything, but there are cordless phones running in the house. i have the comp and the router set to interference robustness. i just opened the imac and tried reseating the airport card, i doubt it will do anything

i just tried starting it in safe mode, the **** thing sounded like it was getting ready to explode.. i guess ill have to call apple... but like i said i honeslty think the computer as a whole has issues.. it makes a **** of a lot of noise, and its kinda slow. I think im going to bring it to apple tomorrow and make them fix it. thanks for your help

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'm running into dead ends here too. You might also what to take the Airport Base Station with you, if they do determine that there is nothing wrong with the iMac.

Edit: How close is the iMac to the Airport Base Station?

OP
M

menace3054

iWhat said:
Yeah, I'm running into dead ends here too. You might also what to take the Airport Base Station with you, if they do determine that there is nothing wrong with the iMac.

Edit: How close is the iMac to the Airport Base Station?

2, 3 feet at the most. honestly, i think it might be the base station.. my brother has problems connecting his computer to it too and I thought it was just becuase he had a crappy pc

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
menace3054 said:
2, 3 feet at the most. honestly, i think it might be the base station.. my brother has problems connecting his computer to it too and I thought it was just becuase he had a crappy pc

Yeah, it seems like you found your problem then, unfortunately. :eek:neye: It might not be the iMac, because at least it did see the wireless signal, and it did connect for awhile like you said.

Reaction score
menace3054 said:

Menace3054,

What is the frequency of the cordless phone is it 2.4ghz because I installed a wireless camara 2.4ghz for my home outside and everytime it went off the garage door would open up. It took me 2 day to figure it uses the same frequency as the camara. Hmmmmmmmmmmm make you think why every wireless device is 2.4ghz :)

OP
B

badmojo

Sounds like it could be the router to me. Before Apple starts diging around I suggest you go pick up a new router and plug it in. They're notorious for "going out" and not maintaining a signal, and they're pretty inexpensive. If you test with a new "G" router and the imac still won't connect, then you know it's probably the mac. If it works, your g/f will be happy again and you'll get rewarded.

note: I've been through three routers in < 2 years, failing here and there.

OP
B

badmojo

Reflow said:
Menace3054,

What is the frequency of the cordless phone is it 2.4ghz because I installed a wireless camara 2.4ghz for my home outside and everytime it went off the garage door would open up. It took me 2 day to figure it uses the same frequency as the camara. Hmmmmmmmmmmm make you think why every wireless device is 2.4ghz :)

Rofl! Not laughing at you...just with you.

OP
M

mrme

i'm having the same problem.

when i restart my computer the imac can connect to the network but if the comp wakes from sleep, it can't connect with the same error msg as menace3054. it can detect the network but can't connect.

Now i know there is nothing wrong with the airport express as my palm can use the network. theres obviously nothing wrong with the airport express card as its working now. my dsl modem is directly connected to the airport, so no routers.

i think there is a software problem somewhere here.

i'm running Tiger with my imac G5

someone please solve this (it's really annoying to have to restart computer every time - reminds me of windows)

OP
M

mrme

i found a solution - remove the old "location" in network preferences and make another one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.