• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac tops (and bottoms) power efficiency ratings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nice article you posted there. But I think . . .

Add in a monitor to the power usage of the mac Mini and I think it'll be right there with the imac which is pretty good for power usage. I think Apple has a winner on their hands with the mini power comsumption wise.

And for the Mac Pro. Yes it is a workhorse and uses oodles of power. But think of it. From a cost point of view you need less Mac Pros in your business to get the job done when compared to non Apple computers. And less staff to service them. And less time wasted/spent on replacing parts. All these savings add up. So in the long run Apple's option just might be cheaper to run.

I know that doesn't answer the fact they use a lot of power. But if you add up all the non Apple computers needed to to the same work. The total amount of power usage might be around the same.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nice article you posted there. But I think . . .

Add in a monitor to the power usage of the mac Mini and I think it'll be right there with the imac which is pretty good for power usage. I think Apple has a winner on their hands with the mini power comsumption wise.

And for the Mac Pro. Yes it is a workhorse and uses oodles of power. But think of it. From a cost point of view you need less Mac Pros in your business to get the job done when compared to non Apple computers. And less staff to service them. And less time wasted/spent on replacing parts. All these savings add up. So in the long run Apple's option just might be cheaper to run.

I know that doesn't answer the fact they use a lot of power. But if you add up all the non Apple computers needed to to the same work. The total amount of power usage might be around the same.

You raise good points. When I read the article I was thinking about the Mini more in terms of the colocation companies that house huge numbers of Minis. Without monitors on each you are talking about a huge energy savings not to mention the smaller carbon footprint.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.