new macbook dropping wifi connection

Reaction score
just got a brand new macboook 13" this morning and noticed that my wifi signal crapped out without warning. safari says that i am not connected to the internet right in the middle of surfing a website. airport icon in the menubar turns to gray with an exclamation mark on it.

what i did was turn off airport and then on again. it picked up the signal and i am back in business. never had this problem with my 4 year old ibook before. anyone having the same problem?

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
i think i may have an idea on whats happening. its the distance from the wifi router. when i move more than 5 meters away from the router my signal craps up.
this is pretty amazing as i used to get signals with my ibook when i was more than 10 meters away!
this is yet to be confirmed but i will be watching very closely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the Macbook have an accessible Airport card? If so, the wire for the internal antenna may not be connected causing it to get poor reception. My iBook G4 had this issue for a while until I opened it up and reattached the cable that had somehow come loose.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
is it difficult to access the airport card in a unibody macbook? perhaps a run to the apple store may be in order.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
after 12 hours with the macbook, i can see that the problem is erratic. it is difficult to reproduce at a drop of the hat. right now its ok and i am in the same spot where my signal dropped earlier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 8,2. 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM. OSX 10.6..... Macbook pro, 2.4GHz 4GB DDR3 1067MHz
Have you tried changing the channel on your router? sometimes that helps the problem, could you be getting interferance?

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
for now the problem seemed to have resolved itself. what i did was assign a permanent ip address for it on my router. has been stable throughout the whole house.
i know my neighbours have their own wifi network but am not convinced that it is interfering with my signals. my ibook connects just fine.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
changing wireless channel from the default of 11 to 10 seem to have corrected the problem for me. 2 soon to tell though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac 8,2. 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM. OSX 10.6..... Macbook pro, 2.4GHz 4GB DDR3 1067MHz
Hurray! hopefully that should solve it, I have a problem of a street lamp of (all things) causing some interference :( well thats what I think it is. anyway. Good luck with it all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
changing wireless channel from the default of 11 to 10 seem to have corrected the problem for me. 2 soon to tell though.

That can be an issue when there are lots of WiFi networks in a small geographical area. God thought to change the channel though.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
can definitely confirm that the issue was resolved with the changing of the channel. hope this will help some other person out there with a similar problem. peace out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.