Mail search window is gone...

Reaction score
I’ve used Mail for years and something strange happened recently. I lost my search window in Mail. How do I get that back? I don’t even know how I lost it and I can’t find the answer in any searches. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have you lost the whole window or the left column with the mailboxes?
If it's the whole window, have you quit and restarted mail?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. It's the search window in Mail at the upper right corner. I still have my mailboxes, my mail, etc. I just can't search within mail.

I have restarted with no effect. I was in Mail and heard that "poof" sound like when you remove something from the dock. That's when it was lost and I don't understand how it happened. Nothing else is wrong except for the search function. That little search window is just gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
got it... right click on area where search box should be, click customize toolbar, and drag search there!

OP
A
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks much!

How did that happen in the first place? I just tried to drag it off the toolbar and it didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That I can't answer, I tried to drag, but the only way i could get that poof sound was to drag item off toolbar while customize toolbar window was open.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, so that remains a mystery. The important thing is you helped me get it back. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleasure, and a little mystery is good every now and then... but I'm guessing a combination of keys played a part in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.