How can i transfer iTunes from MacBook to new iMac?

Reaction score
Hey guys,i just bought a new iMac and i would like to know how can i transfer my whole itunes from my MacBook Pro to the new iMac,i'm not transferring many songs,my main interest is all apps from iphone,also contact,photos,basically i need to get all my iphone info to the new iMac,can anybody help on this?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If it's JUST iTunes, then I agree Migration Asst. is the way. You can, of course, backup your MacBook on to any EHD via the Time Machine and then transfer everything from one to the other. Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It will transfer apps, files, settings, or even your entire User folder if you wish

OP
S
Reaction score
It will transfer apps, files, settings, or even your entire User folder if you wish

Doing migration wireless takes like 5 hrs,I got 15 Gb to transfer,I will post when I finished if all was good.. Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score

Well guys,I did it throw wireless and took 5 hrs.. Now I can't find in my iMac the files I transfered.. Can somebody tell me where is my iTunes files please?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well. Like loishen and I both suggested, use the Time Machine backup and transfer absolutely everything to your new computer exactly as it appeared on your last one. And don't do it wirelessly, use a Firewire connection (preferably 800, 400 okay) and it will transfer ALL in about one hour, possibly a lot less. Your new computer will look and behave exactly like your former one, down to the last detail. Wireless is really slow in comparison to a Firewire direct connection whether you use Migration Asst. or transfer everything. I've had occasion to transfer 2+ years of accumulated use from one Mac to another 2 or 3 times, always via Firewire and it has never exceeded 70 minutes - most recently with Snow Leopard, it was 55 minutes.

If I were you, I would boot your new Mac via the OS DVD, then transfer everything via Firewire from your backup. It will overwrite what you've already done, but in no time at all & leave you all your apps, folders, iTunes, programs etc, etc. Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Well. Like loishen and I both suggested, use the Time Machine backup and transfer absolutely everything to your new computer exactly as it appeared on your last one. And don't do it wirelessly, use a Firewire connection (preferably 800, 400 okay) and it will transfer ALL in about one hour, possibly a lot less. Your new computer will look and behave exactly like your former one, down to the last detail. Wireless is really slow in comparison to a Firewire direct connection whether you use Migration Asst. or transfer everything. I've had occasion to transfer 2+ years of accumulated use from one Mac to another 2 or 3 times, always via Firewire and it has never exceeded 70 minutes - most recently with Snow Leopard, it was 55 minutes.

If I were you, I would boot your new Mac via the OS DVD, then transfer everything via Firewire from your backup. It will overwrite what you've already done, but in no time at all & leave you all your apps, folders, iTunes, programs etc, etc. Ian
As I said,I'm only transfering iTunes from my MacBook Pro to my new iMac,I'm leaving the rest in my MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.7 Ghz Quad Core . MacBook Pro 17" . AppleTV 2 . iPhone 4S . iPad 2 3G . AppleTV 2
I thought all you had to do was "authorize" your new iMac to be able to access your iTunes. Can't you authorize up to 5 Mac's/PC's to be able to access your iTunes?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know where the files that you transferred are. I recently did the same thing and realized that the files ended up in a different user account. Therefore, you have to logout of your account and log-on to the one that you unintentionally transferred. Your files are there. If you can figure how to get them onto your other account please let me know. I need help with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.