Transferring from 1 mac 2 another

Reaction score
Ive just got my hands on a mac book and i want certain files off my mac pro transferred to the mac book, but when doing so through migration assistant it only allows you to transfer all files or everything from applications ect, how can i choose what files and stuff to transfer rather than everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
These days the easiest way for lots of people is to just use an external hard drive or a large flash drive as a go between. You could do the same with DVDs or CDs. If you have both machines on the same network, you could file share them across. If you have a fire wire, you could Target Disk Boot the Mac Pro and the Macbook would treat it like an external HD.

OP
S
Reaction score
These days the easiest way for lots of people is to just use an external hard drive or a large flash drive as a go between. You could do the same with DVDs or CDs. If you have both machines on the same network, you could file share them across. If you have a fire wire, you could Target Disk Boot the Mac Pro and the Macbook would treat it like an external HD.

cheers, they are on the same network how do i ' file share them across' ? i dont have fire wire either but i do have ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Read this: Mac 101: File sharing

I love the mac networking, i can share all my files, screen share from anywhere (even while not at home).. iTunes home is great too!!!

Oh and MobileMe is GREAT when you have more then 1 Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, good. Just go to /System Preferences/Sharing/ and enable File Sharing on your Mac Pro. Then, your Mac Pro should show up in Finder on your Macbook. Just navigate through that to the folders/files you want to copy over. Easiest to open a second Finder window, and just drag and drop. Let us know who you do.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, good. Just go to /System Preferences/Sharing/ and enable File Sharing on your Mac Pro. Then, your Mac Pro should show up in Finder on your Macbook. Just navigate through that to the folders/files you want to copy over. Easiest to open a second Finder window, and just drag and drop. Let us know who you do.

thanks again youve been a greta help but im now stuck after i enable file sharing, i cant seem to find my mac pro (on my macbook) with finder, im a newbie tbh, the finder is o the top left of screen, yea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
You should see your macpro under shared, on the left.

finder-shared.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.