comparable machine to an G4 iBook, 12"

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here so be gentle.

Ok, upshot is my mac is knackered due to accident at home with a glass of water and my wife. Insurance company have said ok to giving me a new mac but I need to fulfill small criteria and this is it.

My mac is/was a G4 iBook, 12" screen with 512mb RAM and airport, etc (quite an old mac - 5 years +). I said I paid about £600 for it when new. They have asked me to get a quote for a comparable machine and let them know before they will give the ok.

What I'm looking for is advice on a comparable machine. Can anyone here point me in right direction?

Really, thanks for any advice.

Darren.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Are you talking about replacing old with new? Or are you talking about the depreciated replacement value of the old G4? Need to know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My mac is/was a G4 iBook, 12" screen with 512mb RAM and airport, etc (quite an old mac - 5 years +). I said I paid about £600 for it when new. They have asked me to get a quote for a comparable machine and let them know before they will give the ok.

What I'm looking for is advice on a comparable machine. Can anyone here point me in right direction?

Well a comparable machine would be another G4 iBook (same mhz CPU) with 512 meg of ram & airport. You could check eBay for selling prices of them.

Unfortunately...they're not going to be worth anything near £600!:(

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If they mean new with the same price as your iBook was new, I paid around the same for my iBook 12" 1.33Ghz as the Macbook costs today. Not sure what they are after. If they want to replace it with something of the used value of your ibook you would end up with some netbook with Windows! :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the insurance company are going to supply new for old (I realise that G4 iBooks are not around anymore, except ebay or somewhere of that ilk).

To be a little clearer, I think the insurers are willing to pay out on a like for like Mac which makes it difficult as there are non like it available in shops, etc and it has to be a new mac (new for old). So maybe I could push on the macbook, I don't know. Could be we come to an arrangement and get a cheque and I get to go shopping on ebay.

It'd be interesting to know the depreciated value of the G4 but looking around on ebay, I see they're going for around £100-£250's which is very cheap.

And PLEASE, no more netbook with w*&%"%s suggestions - I'd rather have a calculator, typewriter and telephone thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
And PLEASE, no more netbook with w*&%"%s suggestions - I'd rather have a calculator, typewriter and telephone thanks

This really made my day.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No one suggested a Netbook. All I said was if they give you a new computer that is worth what that iBook is used, it would probably be a netbook as your iBook was not worth that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The insurance company are simply asking for a new replacement, they will definably not like you buying second hand as that has no warranty, and is more likely to break and require a second insurance claim.

A most direct replacement would be a white macbook, currently going for £799 new
MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.)

If they are going to make you stick to a £600 limit, and you would rather not buy a windows netbook, then keep an eye on the UK Apple refurb store, they are "new" machines that still come with full warranty
Refurbished MacBook 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White - Apple Store (U.K.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.