Problems installing new HD in Macbook

Reaction score
Hey There

My wife has a 3 year old 13" Macbook that had an apparent dead hard drive earlier this week.

The computer froze on her, she turned it off and back on and it would just go to a grey screen. The hard drive could be heard making 3 clicking noises and that was it.. no apple screen or anything.

So, assuming the HD was bunk, we bought a new one today. I've got it installed and I've booted off of the OSX cd but I can't get the computer to actually detect it in disk utility. There is just nothing there at all.

Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, assuming the HD was bunk, we bought a new one today. I've got it installed and I've booted off of the OSX cd but I can't get the computer to actually detect it in disk utility. There is just nothing there at all.

If you purchased the correct hard drive (2.5" SATA) and it has been installed correctly, you should be able to "see" it from Disk Utility when booted from your install DVD. The new drive will have to be formatted before it can be used. If the drive can't be seen at all, check the installation again and of course make sure you're using the correct type drive.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks.. I actually figured out the issue. Had to take apart the computer to see that one of the rubber insulators that run alongs side the HD slot had come off and was all bunched up and not allowing the HD to seat properly.

Always the simple things..

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.