Tiger X install problems,anyone? Comments?

Reaction score
I just thought I would start a thread to see if anyone has problems and or suggestions for Tiger. I have not installed yet but it's right here.I thought I'd give it a few hours of seeing if any unexpected things are going on ;)
So, if you have seemed to run into problems or questions, lets hear them, please?

R

ravenstor

did an upgrade install, safari def not good, very slow, otherwise everything seems good, spotlight very good and dashboards ok.

mail much better.

getting to grips with it but wouldnt be surprised if a software update wasnt coming along soon.

pleased overall with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Repaired Permissions first, then Archive & Install keeping settings. Left spotlight alone to do it's thing for a while, reloaded printer & mouse drivers.
All great and working well. Gimp is struggling a bit but getting better :) No other problems.
NeoOffice/J, iBank and EazyDraw fine.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Installed pretty cool ..........but I can not get rid of the Setup Assistant any ideas? tried dragging it out of dock but keeps jumping back in is there sometime I missed maybe? quit doesn't work on it either

C

code777

i was considering buying it tomorrow but I think I will wait until the summer. My friend just installed it and he told me Safari is acting wacky/slow. He also said that he got a Kernel Panic (uh oh). He restarted and repaired and says Safari is still slow and acting buggy/quits.

Onyx does not work with 10.4 yet as well. He hopes Apple will have an update by Monday... yeah right!

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I can not believe how this is...... Jump to the future is what tiger should be called! Absolutely Awesome

Reaction score
I'm calling the Apple store Sat. I'll let them install for free, might take a couple of weeks..
They install it for free..

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Just install no need to do custom install it saved all the settings and everything could not be easier believe me when I tell you.

A

adamxj2

I INSTALLED TIGER
AND MY whole system is wacky
I have two home folders
and none of my files are where they are supposed to be my mac even
showed me the screen with the little box that says hold down your button
for a few seconds to restart I am a little pissed none of my playlists are setup in iTunes I AM MAD I installed this .
I also dont have entirely everything backed up most of my apps and
important files are but ... I thought it would be cake...
Guess I am not as MAC SAAVY as I thought I was.

K

Kokopelli

Put the disc in, restart, uprade, and done. Everything I expected to run on Tiger works as expected except Deja Menu. Safari is fast, though I am still sticking with Camino.

EDIT: OGG plugin for QuickTime is broken as well.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I just noticed I went from 221.63 GB free to 51 GB free after install, whats up with that? I'm not sure but that doesn't seem right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moving this thread....the Suggestions forums, as it states, is only for Mac-Forums.com suggestions, not Apple issues.

Reaction score
Installed my Tiger yesterday with no problems. Did a regular "upgrade" install and everything went very well. Took about 28 minutes and then it booted right up into Tiger. Only program that broke was Oynx, but that was expected as they don't have their Tiger version out yet.

I keep seeing people crying about Safari and being slow, i don't see this at all. After running the java speed test i find that Safari is running just as fast as it was after the 10.3.9 update. It posted a 6.3 second score on the test, being beat by only Opera 8 at 5.36. Same as before. I have been on at least 75 websites since the install and everything works great with Safari on my system.

Sounds like a couple of you need to do a format and brand new install.

Reaction score
torchy said:
Repaired Permissions first, then Archive & Install keeping settings. Left spotlight alone to do it's thing for a while, reloaded printer & mouse drivers.
All great and working well. Gimp is struggling a bit but getting better :) No other problems.
NeoOffice/J, iBank and EazyDraw fine.

My Gimp refused to load at all after install. I downloaded the latest version V2.2.6 and it now works just great again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Installed a few days ago (got it a bit "early" shall we say). Did an Archive and Instal, no issues with the instal at all.

Booted up and all my settings were there, it hopped on my wireless network PDQ. Almost none of my UNSANITY Haxies worked, but UNSANITY upgraded them all a day ago so they all work again (Bless them!). My MS Mouse software installs, but not all of the Trackball settings are working. I have buttons programed but they don't work as programed. The system could not figure out my Keyboard and the Logitech Control Center software errors out when I try to install it so I have had to switch keyboards until Logitech gets on the ball and fixes the problem.

Spotlight - Meh, way over-hyped, FIND is still better.
Dashboard - Sucks, Konfab is still better
Mail - NICE!
Safari RSS - Why do I want to use my browser as an RSS reader?
Automater - No easier to use than Applescript ever was.

Overall a WAY over-hyped upgrade that is NOT worth $129....

C

code777

baggss said:
Installed a few days ago (got it a bit "early" shall we say). Did an Archive and Instal, no issues with the instal at all.

Booted up and all my settings were there, it hopped on my wireless network PDQ. Almost none of my UNSANITY Haxies worked, but UNSANITY upgraded them all a day ago so they all work again (Bless them!). My MS Mouse software installs, but not all of the Trackball settings are working. I have buttons programed but they don't work as programed. The system could not figure out my Keyboard and the Logitech Control Center software errors out when I try to install it so I have had to switch keyboards until Logitech gets on the ball and fixes the problem.

Spotlight - Meh, way over-hyped, FIND is still better.
Dashboard - Sucks, Konfab is still better
Mail - NICE!
Safari RSS - Why do I want to use my browser as an RSS reader?
Automater - No easier to use than Applescript ever was.

Overall a WAY over-hyped upgrade that is NOT worth $129....

well I went to the Apple Store and it was kinda busy again. Tons of Tiger still but it seems the glitches are being reported as we speak to the Genius Bar. So I did not buy it (yet). I talked to a few employees and they of course are pushing Tiger but at the same time say there are a few "very very minor" glitches they are hearing from lots of customers.

I know two of my buddies who installed it are having minor issues with Mail, Safari, and some kernal panics but nothing that can't be fixed they said. They are loving Tiger but do admit that Apple needs to fix some glitches.

I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. Any real problems to report???

[edit] my friend wanted me to post this: Has anyone noticed that when you use "display" on your desktop that it does not show the details correctly. I.E. - Macintosh HD and then below it 74.4GB, 6 is all it shows? I haven't seen it personally but he also noticed other windows being cut off and small stuff like that.

K

Kokopelli

Yes there are glitches, though ironically I have not run across any of them yet. I was continually hounded by them in the betas but final seems to be fairly stable for me so far.

As I said a month or so ago, if you want stable and ready for mission critical use, wait for 10.4.2 or 10.4.3. 10.4.0 will work for daily use but it is not as stable as 10.3.9. Expect to have some problems and be prepared to troubleshoot them and you will be fine.

And the HD icon on my desk lists free space correctly when I have info on.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I just checked info and it says available 218.72GB Why is it that the info under the HD icon reads differently is there a setting that I need to correct? the reading underneath now reads 73 GB FREE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.