Cannot drag and drop

Reaction score
I'm having problems dragging and dropping files on my macbook. I'm currently trying to move files from my harddive onto my external because I'm running out of space. I'm worried I may have deleted an important file by accident and now have lost the ablity to drag and drop. Is there any way I can fix this? I would take my macbook into an Apple store to tak to someone in person, but there is none nearby. Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'd like to add that I'm not very computer savvy, so if there is a solution, I'd really appreciate it if the explanation isn't full of computer jargon. :) Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
What happens when you try to drag and drop? You need to describe what your seeing and what's happening before any of us can help you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can see how dragging and dropping with the button-less trackpad might be difficult. In theory, you would need to push down on the trackpad, maintain pressure and drag to the correct location and release.

What I would recommend would be to enable 'Dragging' and 'Drag lock' in System Preferneces => Trackpad. With this enabled, all you have to do is tap on the item to select it (do not push down) and then tap, hold and drag. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it works well.

OP
J
Reaction score
I can click on the file, but it won't move if I try to drag it. It's as if I'm not doing it at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've had my computer for over a year now, and I have never had any problems dragging and dropping files. The trackpad has never been and issue for me and I've been able to move files before. Now, for some reason, it no longer works.

Also, I am no longer able to command c and command v for copy and paste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.