Safari or Mozilla versus Internet Explorer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
meltbanana314 said:
Yeah.

From the Apple website:

Pages is compatible. It imports AppleWorks documents and imports and exports Microsoft Word documents. Want to share your documents online? Pages also offers the easiest way to create great looking PDF files. Pages makes it easy to share your work with others.

Keynote 2 comes with 20 Apple-designed themes ranging from portfolios to storyboards that make it easy to look your best. Keynote imports AppleWorks presentations; imports and exports Microsoft PowerPoint presentations; and exports PDF, QuickTime and Flash.

cool i wonder what they will call their excel clone. icells perhaps

OP
M

mogwai

my favourite browser is camino. its faster than firefox (whihc on mac has some rather irritating bugs). safari never tried it for so long to say anything good or bad on it. IE i don't eve bother mentioning. In my opinion we all should look forward for camino because its gonna be the browser we're all waiting for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
safari fits me perfectly so that is what i use...yes i could probably play with all the stuff firefox has, but i am content with this

-chris

OP
M

meltbanana314

I've just discovered Shiira's 'Tab Exposé' feature and it's ability to customize search engines. It's my new favourite browser.

Reaction score
Help me out fellas...

I'm a Safari guy myself but have recently found a few things that are quite annoying and has me wondering about switching to FireFox.

Recently I was looking at a website regarding a service I was interesting in using. I was going to go there and called the place for directions to which the lady replied ``it's on the website". So I went back and looked at it for several minutes trying to find the directions. Didn't see any directions so I called back and she gave them to me. While I was at her place of business I asked about the situation and she said, ``yes, it's right there on the front page of our website". I asked her to show me which she did (IE). Sure enough there were a row of buttons which did not show on my in my browser. I fired up IE (arrrgh) and FireFox asnd both browsers displayed the buttons that are missing in Safari.

Now I have a problem that is driving me nuts with my own website. I installed a Portal on my site and one of the blocks has a rather bold "rule" on the right side. It's the only block on the site that displays that way and it's driving me nuts? Why? Because the same page displays perfectly in IE (arrrgh) and FireFox. I'm rather particular about how things look and am wondering why this is happening. Is Safari just reading the code better or just different. Seems to me that one "block" must have some coding that the others don't, right? Sounds reasonable, right? What other explanation is there?

And Finally, I had to register on the NCL Cruise line for my upcoming trip and the page displayed completely different in IE than in Safari and FireFox. In fact it didn't give me the necessary look up feature I was told it would -- only in IE. Maybe that page was written specifically for IE...is that possible you think? Anyway, it created a problem for me and luckily I found out and had the travel agent do it for me. D'oh. Things like that are scary.

And one final question for ya all...one feature I use constantly on the web through Safari is the spell checking feature...control + click on a word and it give me spelling options. Is there such a thing in FireFox? I've looked and searched and cannot figure out if it's available.

So, what do you folks think? What should I do about this Safari problem? What would you guys suggest about my display problems.

Thanks for your help!

OP
T

Tel

I used to use Firefox as my only browser and I had a lot of add ons that I used daily, but now Safari is all I use, it makes browsing the web a much more simple task and I feel no need for any plugins etc.

OP
D

Dark Phoenix

I use firefox now. I'd use safari but a lot of my images get darker in safari apart from the rest of the background resulting in it looking... bad. It pains me to see my own site in safari haha.

OP
W

WeonSnonge

CrossBones said:
And Finally, I had to register on the NCL Cruise line for my upcoming trip and the page displayed completely different in IE than in Safari and FireFox. In fact it didn't give me the necessary look up feature I was told it would -- only in IE. Maybe that page was written specifically for IE...is that possible you think?
Unfortunately it is entirely conceiveable that a site is designed solely for IE. I used to work for a company and you couldn't even log in to their site without IE.
CrossBones said:
And one final question for ya all...one feature I use constantly on the web through Safari is the spell checking feature...control + click on a word and it give me spelling options. Is there such a thing in FireFox? I've looked and searched and cannot figure out if it's available.
I've not seen anything like that for FireFox - it would certainly be a handy plugin.

Being new to MacLand, I have been mostly using Safari but only marginally more than FF or IE. I use all of the browsers to check that my web sites are compatible. I am so glad to hear that IE is not going to be shipped with Mac any more - it is a sucky product that requires far too much hacking of CSS. I believe it was being shipped until recently due to a 5 year agreement between Apple and MS. I have heard of some sites that ude no CSS formatting if IE5Mac is detected (take a look at sidesh0w.com in IE5Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I was a Mozilla user when I was on my PC. I switched before Service Pack 2 which was when IE really tried to get serious about patching their screen-door like security and even afterwards it still sucked or was intrusive.

I haven't put Mozilla on my new PowerBook yet but I did download IE just because my University's TimeCard program is browser based and doesn't like Mozilla and Safari very much.

Unfortunately, I think having IE on your computer is a necessary evil at the moment because some organizations and sites only build their browser apps for MS systems. I don't use it for anything else but I do keep it around.

So far I've enjoyed using Safari. It works well and does everything I need a browser to do. Unless I find some real snag with Safari I'll most likely stick with it.

Reaction score
I tried them all and go back to safari every-time .. I have to have a spellchecker, I tweaked Safari a little, now it is fast.. I really haven't had a problem on any sites using Safari..

OP
B

badmojo

I look at ebay quite a bit and Camino seems to render it faster and more consistently. It also saves my log in information better that Safari. Once in awhile Safari abruptly shuts down, for no apparent reason, but I still like it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.