iPhoto and syncing between 2 macbooks

Reaction score
We have 2 macbook pro's in our house running leopard (soon to be snow leopard) and I would like to have one iPhoto library for Family pictures. I want both computers to be able add, view and edit photos and have the changes sync with the other computer.

I do have a time capsule if that opens any possibilities.

Is there anyway to do what I am asking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You can keep the iPhoto Library on an external hard drive, so Time Capsule should work unless there's something about it I don't know. You hold down the Option key while bringing up iPhoto, and it will ask you where the Library is located. You select the external location, and iPhoto happily loads the data. As I recall, you set up the external Library in the same way, by holding down the Option key when calling up iPhoto. So, each of your computers could have its own iPhoto Library, and also access the external Library at any time it's within range of your Time Capsule.

I hope this helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
I can see how that could work but how would we access the pictures when we are away from home. My wife doesn't have mobile me so she wouldn't be able to access the pictures that way. (unless there is a copy saved on the hard drive)

What I am thinking about is how I have a few folders in my mobile me set up; for files that I wanted to be able to view on my iphone yet remain synced with my home folder. I created an alias of a folder in my idisk and placed that alias in my home folder. That has allowed me to keep a copy of a file on my computer that I can edit and when I return home the file is synced wirelessly though my idisk.

I would both computers to have a copy of the full library on its hard drive and when changes are made the file is updated in the master location (perhaps the external drive or time capsule). And when I turn on the other computer the updates are synced with that computer well as.

In my mind this all makes sense so I hope it does on here as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.