No more snow ... going back to Leopard

Reaction score
Any down side to reloading OSX.5 Leopard after using OSX.6 Snow Leopard? (Intel iMac 24")
Apple tech support would have me believe that I will not be able to access my Document files from Time Capsule after I reloaded X.5. Is this so?
Also don't see any benefits to OSX.6 and lots of problems.
1) Have to buy new HP printers because the print quality plummeted and HP won't support older printers and Snow Leopard.
2) Appleworks does not function well. i.e., images don't rotate, copy and pastes and print quality is like a dot-matrix printer. (Yes, Appleworks is defunct, but I use it extensively for my design business).
3) Web surfing is very slow. Gave up on Safari like Apple did. (If it's not an iPod or iPhone, they don't care any more).
4) Hulu.com will not support Snow Leopard and Safari.
Can't remember having so much trouble with a new Apple OS or it costing this much in changes. Long live Leopard. (The darker one).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you up to the current versions on both Snow Leopard and Safari. I have been for a while now and surfing doesn't seem slow? Not contradicting you just wondering what the difference might be.

Also what problems were you having with Hulu? I hadn't been there since upgrading but i checked for a bit after reading your post and it seems to be OK for me.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for post

I have the current Safari & OS. (Just bought my 24" iMac two weeks before they came out with the 27"!!!) It has all the bells and whistles.
I get impatient if a site doesn't load after 30 seconds.
Apologizes to hulu.com. It was abc.go.com. Tried watching V and got this message.
"Snow Leopard users
Currently Snow Leopard is not supported.
To be able to watch full episodes, you have to change your Safari browser to run in 32 bit mode".
ABC took 45 seconds to load.
Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try changing to 32-Bit mode in Safari? Easy to do. I did it once to compare browser speeds and the 64-Bit was much faster in the Java tests in 64-Bit.

OP
C
Reaction score
advise ...

I did not try and change the bits. Simply surfed alternate TV web sites.
Did not try drivers from OS CD, but went to the HP web site. HP's attitude was simply ... they won't support 6 to 7 year old printers in Snow Leopard and they would not be in the future. I think my CSE970 was at least that. I bought a new HP all-in-one, but can't afford to replace the large paper size HP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows 7 also needs new drivers in a lot of cases. Is HP going to support those printers in Windows 7? HP is known to do this with their drivers when a new OS comes out and they are even worse with OSX. It's HP's responsibility to support the new OS's with updated drivers and not Apple now Windows.

Sad HP has that attitude the last few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Windows 7 also needs new drivers in a lot of cases. Is HP going to support those printers in Windows 7? HP is known to do this with their drivers when a new OS comes out and they are even worse with OSX. It's HP's responsibility to support the new OS's with updated drivers and not Apple now Windows.

Sad HP has that attitude the last few years.

Had same issue with a 3yr old Epson their response was our newest all in ones
are fully supported so there is no future proof printers I have owned all but a
Brother and they all have their quirks currently having the best luck with HP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.