• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

can't import video Canon HV20 on a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and new to the world of Macintosh.
I'm from The Netherlands so my english might have some errors here and there.

I've a 2 year old Canon HV20. I've searched through the forum and found a similar problem with no solution (yet).

I own a new Macbook Pro with iMovie '09 and running Mac OS X 10.6.2

The firewire input is the 800mbit/s version so the standard Canon firewire cable wont work.
I've bought another cable (4 to 9 pins) and I want to know how the Mac will tell me if the camera is there or not.
If I open iMovie and I can't see the camera
If I open iPhoto and hook up the USB cable I can see and import pictures.

I've tested the camera with the original cable on Windows and it works.

I think the cable is not good, but to make sure I wont be buying another faulty cable, are there other alternatives.
I've seen a conversion plug for the original Canon cable.

I'm quite upset Apple didn't include that in the 2100 euro package :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Xeon 8GB Ram ATI Radeon X1900 XT
HV20 and OSX

Have you gotten anywhere with your "issue"? I too have an HV20 but it's not quite 2 years old. I've been using it for iMovie 06, 08 and 09 as well as Final Cut. For the most part, it's a fine piece of equipment for my needs plenty of camera. So what's my problem? I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (OXX 10.6.2) and now I can't get any of my programs to "find" or recognize the HV-20. They're fine with my Casio, Panasonic and other Canons (SD Card models). But the HV-20 is simply not being seen by my Mac Pro. I'm sure there is something was something lost during the upgrade but for now I've not been able to find a resolution on line.
Please let me know if you have made any progress with your problem and if possible, point me in the "find the answer here" direction. Thanks...
Jonathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To see of OS X is even seeing the camera, use System Profiler in the Utilities folder. Open that after hooking up and turning on the camera. Then click on the Firewire entry under Hardware.

The camera should be connected via firewire and the USB cable should not be connected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Xeon 8GB Ram ATI Radeon X1900 XT
xstep,
As stated in my previous post, I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.2). Before the upgrade the HV20 played fine with my Mac Pro. Now nothing. System Profiler doesn't show it after being connected and powered on (which I didn't mention above). For now my work around is to import my video to my old Mac Book and then copy it over the lan to the Mac Pro. I'm hoping enough people will complain to Apple to get a patch sometime in the future but any suggestions would be welcomed.
Jonathan
P.S. I didn't even know the camera has a USB connection; I've only ever used Fire Wire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Please do complain to Apple. I've been seeing this problem being reported for firewire cameras connected to OS X 10.6.x.

As a side note. I did a clean install of 10.6 on a firewire drive and connected my old firewire miniDV camera. So far I'm mostly lucky and the camera is seen, although it looks like upgrading to 10.6.2 may have helped out another issue. I have found that one of my other firewire drive enclosures combined with the camera connected causes what can only be described as a lockup of the system. The drive in question is my media asset drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
In my case it was a bad or wrong brand cable

I got me a Belkin cable and it works under iMovie running 10.6.2

Reaction score
I am running Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1), and my Canon HD camera HV20 is no longer recognized.
I am the family chronicler, having made 52 movies about the grandchildren. No camera since the HV20 has come close to its quality, unless you go to the $3000 professional stuff.
The point is, I am busted back to the stone age. Changing settings does not solve the problem.
My iMac is also screwed, since I upgraded to snow leopard. It will not recognize the HV20V.

It is a sad day when Apple begins sabotaging earlier operations. Microsoft did it for years. That was fraud.

Please help, send us a patch. Send us a life boat.
I'm not a teckie, but I have been very productive with tools that work for me.
FCP will not find my camera. iMovie neither.
This is an emergency.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Can you still connect to any computer? Try a new/different Firewire cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.