PowerPC G5 to Intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5; PowerMac8,2; PowerPC GT (3.0); 2ghz; 2GB Memory; MacBook Pro, Mac OS X ver. 10.6
Hello out there!

Like many others on here I'm a newbie to the Mac experience. I recently purchased on eBay a used iMac G5; OS X ver. 10.4; 2 GHz PowerPC; 2DB DDR SDRAM for $425 USD.

My question is... is it possible to upgrade this iMac from the PowerPC processor to an Intel processor?

Thanks in advance!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I hate to disappoint you but no. AFAIK there is no way to do that.In addition to being a completely different architecture for the CPU there were other structural changes that came with the shift to Intel chips.

Depending upon the tasks you want to perform that iMac may still be quite useful to you. I had a Mac G5 tower with similar specs that I was using for a number of day to day computing tasks until it died recently after much heavy use.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5; PowerMac8,2; PowerPC GT (3.0); 2ghz; 2GB Memory; MacBook Pro, Mac OS X ver. 10.6
Thanks Sylvester! Yes, disappointed but then again... I only spent $425 for it.

I'm a free lance fashion designer and I'll be installing Adobe CS3 Suite. What kind of performance should I expect?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is... is it possible to upgrade this iMac from the PowerPC processor to an Intel processor?

Thanks in advance!

Plain & simple...no you cannot!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.