Quicktime update (to version 7!)

N

Nightblade

We all know that Quicktime 7 is a new feature of Tiger. But I'm pretty sure Panther users can use it too, and since Tiger is out now, so is Quicktime 7! The download can be reached through Software Update, and it's 26.6 MB. The software DOES require a restart after it has been installed. But, let me just double-check. My computer is running on 10.3.9. Quicktime 7 will work on it, right? It doesn't need 10.4, does it?

Also, in addition to the Quicktime update, the Apple software "Remote Desktop" has been upgraded to version 2.2. The download is 31.7 MB. I'm guessing very, very few people on this board even have the program, though....

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Nightblade said:
And, you're not running Tiger, right?

True, just update your mac right now, and you can get it. :cool:

OP
C

code777

i'll be downloading the upgrade tonight and then buying PRO. i hear it looks awesome when viewing some of the new movie trailers... can't wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Nightblade said:
And, you're not running Tiger, right?

Quicktime 7 is part of Tiger... so yes, the upgrade you can download is for Panther (10.3) and no, you don't need Tiger.

Software Update will only show updates that are related to your OS version. If it's un upgrade for Tiger, you won't even see it.

OP
N

Nightblade

Well, I got Quicktime 7, and let me tell ya--you can do very little in this version without getting Quicktim Pro! Let me list the commands in the menu bar that you can and can't do in Quicktime 7 without getting Quicktime Pro:

CAN DO WITHOUT QUCKTIME PRO 7

About QuickTime Player
Preferences...
QuickTime Preferences
Registration...
Update Existing Software
Buy Quicktime Pro
Services ------> Finder
etc.
Hide QuickTime Player
Hide Others
Show All
Quit QuickTime Player
Open File...
Open URL...
Open Recent ---->
Close
Page Setup...
Print...
Undo
Redo
Copy
Special Characters...
Half Size
Actual Size
Double Size
Loop
Choose Language
Minimize
Zoom
Show Movie Info
Show A/V Controls
Show Content Guide
Favorites -----> Add Movie as Favorite
Show Favorites
Bring All To Front
Quicktime Player Help

CAN'T DO WITHOUT QUCKTIME PRO 7

New Player
New Movie Recording
New Audio Recording
Open Image Sequence
Save
Save As...
Revert to Saved
Share...
Export...
Cut
Paste
Delete
Select All
Select None
Trim to Selection
Add to Movie
Add to Selection & Scale
Find...
Find Next
Find Previous
Full Screen
Present Movie...
Loop Back and Forth
Play Selection Only
Play All Frames
Play All Movies
Go to Poster Frame
Set Poster Frame
Show Movie Properties

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmm.. Ill have to look into getting it one of these days.

Reaction score
quicktime 7, i was expecting nice smooth playback with new features, going from qt 6 pro to non pro qt 7 is terrible, on my ibook it is really slow, and the realtime resizing is terrrible for my poor ibook

ibook 1.2 ghz 768 mb of ram

i had to reinstall 6.5.2
i am happy with the old version, couldnt see much change on qt 7 anywaz.. i hated the resizing, almost as fast as windows playing a dvd

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jklfafa said:
quicktime 7, i was expecting nice smooth playback with new features, going from qt 6 pro to non pro qt 7 is terrible, on my ibook it is really slow, and the realtime resizing is terrrible for my poor ibook

i had to reinstall 6.5.2
i am happy with the old version, couldnt see much change on qt 7 anywaz.. i hated the resizing, almost as fast as windows playing a dvd

Hey, I had the samething happen to me. Playback on my iBook with 640MB is just terrible with the H.264. It's like I'm watching a video slideshow, when watching the video in their new HD Gallery. I sure hope they fix this soon, because I would like show off my features to the Winderz people soon, when I do get Tiger. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
jklfafa said:

i had to reinstall 6.5.2

How do you download Quicktime 6 i have a pro and i wana go back bc you cant even open a new bloody player in 7 serioulsy *** apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iWhat said:
Hey, I had the samething happen to me. Playback on my iBook with 640MB is just terrible with the H.264. It's like I'm watching a video slideshow, when watching the video in their new HD Gallery. I sure hope they fix this soon, because I would like show off my features to the Winderz people soon, when I do get Tiger. :spook:

jklfafa said:

i had to reinstall 6.5.2

I suggest you take a look at the system requirements

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/recommendations.html

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, yes! That make sense now. My iMac G5 handles it pretty well, but it's not a pretty sight, when you want to do the cool resizing feature with the H.264.

Reaction score
its amazing how qt should take more requirements, this is disappointing to hear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not quicktime that has the requirements its the HD video using H.264

OP
C

code777

if i get QT7PRO and later get Tiger, what will happen upon re-install of Tiger, will I lose PRO?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you have your registration number you don't have to worry about that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.