OS utilities

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac after 10+ yrs on the PC. I have a "Windows Registry" mentality and know all too well how it can become filled with junk entries after multiple app installs and uninstalls.

How does this work in the Mac world? Are there any good utilities that can clean up OSX? Get rid of unecessary and/or junk files?

Any good application uninstall apps?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only real thing you need to do, and it's not that overly important, is to run the Unix CRON scripts (Daily, Weekly or Monthly, I only run Monthly myself). You can use an App like Cocktail to do it for you, or you can learn the Unix command lines and do it from the terminal. You can run Disc Utility and Repair your permissions every once in a while but I don't think that really buys you much in terms of stability of maintenance.

Other than that there is no Registry equivalent on a Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OSX has No Registry, no DLL's. Very boring OS for people used to fighting with the registry! :D

There are maintenance apps like Onyx that many here at Mac Forums run from time to time.

There are several Uninstallers. With most apps (Unlike Windows) just throw the application in the trash and it's gone. Unlike Windows OSX Apps are all self contained. There are a few files (small config and data) that might get left behind, and if you want to get rid of them you can either do it manually or use an Uninstaller App like AppCleaner which is free or AppDelete which costs a little.

Other than running Onyx, there is not normally much maintenance to do in OSX.

I hope that helps you a bit!

Baggss sort of beat me to it. Cocktail is another little App like Onyx to run the chron scripts and clean up a few things.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks...

I checked out this Onyx utility and was wondering how most folks use it. What options should I select to run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts

When deleting applications, you just simply need to drag them to the trash.
If an application comes with an uninstaller, then it is best to use that.
You can use applications like AppCleaner and AppZapper to delete apps, but on occasion, certain files that are needed for multiple applications may end up in the trash when using those apps, so it's good to be sure that you double check all the files that come up when using those applications to uninstall.
You can also look into applications like Onyx Titanium Software and Mainmenu MainMenu 1.7.4 which are both good maintenance applications.
It's always good to run disk permission repairs before and after any major software installations, and any upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'll prob get beaten to it while typing again, but for me, I use main menu, primarily to clean caches when I feel like it, and occasionally run batch tasks.
I think it is a preference thing, much as I'm sure over time, you will find your own to suit you.

Screen shot 2009-11-27 at 10.08.31 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

that's about all I do.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's where I recommend starting with Onyx.
Similar to the MainMenu screen from 6string.

You can add the fonts if you play around with them.

Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 5.49.58 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.