Quick Software Questions

EFS

Reaction score
Ok, to start off I know that Mac malicious software is very rare, but I had a quick questions as I have always been a sketch ball. I was setting up my external LightScribe CD drive, and I downloaded the LSS files from this link (LightScribe - Downloads - Mac). The file download as a .tar, so I extracted it to find a .pkg. I installed this, and it seemed kind of fish as to when I searched my HD for "Lightscribe" nothing showed until I installed the Label software. It said the LSS software "gives the computer lightscribe capabilities." Does this seem fishy to anyone? Could this be any sort of malicious file? Thanks in advance for any replys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Well I downloaded the file and installed it onto my computer and like yourself I couldn't find what it installed onto the computer.

I looked into it a bit and they say that the file is used for people who can't acquire a update.

Doesn't seem to me like a malicious file to me but you never know.

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
Well I downloaded the file and installed it onto my computer and like yourself I couldn't find what it installed onto the computer.

I looked into it a bit and they say that the file is used for people who can't acquire a update.

Doesn't seem to me like a malicious file to me but you never know.

So your OK with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Yes its okay if what your saying is that you downloaded the file off the website then installed it, Then set up the actual Lightscribe. Then I wouldn't worry because the download on the website was designed to activate the actual lightscribe product and is not the actual product itself.

No if you got everything set up and it was working and then you installed that downloaded file then maybe not because the website says the file is "Required to enable LightScribe functionality"

OP
E

EFS

Reaction score
Yeah I just went to the website, installed my LSS, then the actual label software, and then burned my CDs. I was just wondering if all was well. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem man Im here to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.