Is there another way of entering a 'k' - keyboard problem!

Reaction score
My neice spilt liquid on her mac keyboard and can no longer type the letter 'k'

... and her college dissertation is due tomorrow, and the login password contains a 'k'

Can you use a numeric code like you can in Windows to generate characters?

If anyone knows the code for a 'k' (could be uppercase, so both upper and lower case codes would be handy) I would be extremely grateful indeed.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a quick solution you could use the install DVD to change the password. Not good that liquid however and further problems may follow:-

manuals.info.apple.com/en/leopard_install-setup.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Two possible solutions. And I don't think you'll need to install the DVD (I think...)

You can simply go into system preferences and change the password from there. But you say.. I still need to type a 'K' ! Right ? Well, don't forget about the virtual keyboard !

Go into sys preferences>Language & Text> check keyboard and character viewer.

There's even a way to have this keyboard appear at the log in screen. I've seen it at some point, somewhere, somehow.

Doug

Edit: Another solution. This is obviously a MacBook of some sort, yeah ? I suggest that if it's super urgent, and you can't do anything else which was suggested, to go and get an el' cheapo usb keyboard. It will work in a pinch.

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply.

Does it not ask for the original password when you do this? If so then we are back to square one.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As the fix for changing the admin password from the startup disc does nothing to alleviate the issue of the 'k' key not functioning and using the on screen keyboard every time you need that letter for writing a paper will be a royal pitr,

the best suggestion I've heard yet is go get a USB keyboard. (beg, borrow or, no not steal)

Of course, if you're here in the states, that could be pretty tricky on Thanksgiving evening.

You're back to Harry's suggestion to change the admin password using the OS X DVD.

Here's how: Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
scroll down and click on: Resetting the original administrator account password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Many thanks for your reply.

Does it not ask for the original password when you do this? If so then we are back to square one.

Perhaps, yes. But that's why I pointed out the virtual keyboard as well.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And in case I didn't make myself clear enough. Just change the password USING the virtual keyboard. I just did it, and works a charm. Or did I miss something ? Is she logged out at the moment and not able to do this ?

Doug

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the responses thus far.

Neice is in London, I am in Wiltshire - she phoned her Mum who then phoned me so I am not in direct contact I'm afraid, however I've relayed all advice on with respect to virtual keyboard and password change suggestions - looks like the USB keyboard should hopefully be a permanent fix, but maybe she can get by for now - I'll post a follow up when I hear back how she got on.

once again - many thanks

Rob H

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.