Numbers - transferring data from sheet to sheet

Reaction score
Hi, I dont post here too often, but needing some help.
I tried searching older threads without any success!

I am asking, because I have a project for work, I have been asked to update our stock system, that uses excel.
Now I know Numbers isn't excel, but it can save the created, numbers projects to the excel format. This I know how to do!

My problems is when working with Sheets.
I have 3 in total, I use the first to summarise the entire project, and trying to bring all the most important data to this sheet!
The other two are used to collate, and with functions, manipulate the data.

An example been:
Sheet 3: Cell K5, has the final value, and I wish to move this to Cell J5 on sheet 1.
I assumed it would be a matter of copy/paste, but it doesn't work.
Cell J5 displays the value, within Cell K5 on Sheet 1.

I am assuming its a simple process, but having 3 years of excel experience, never needing to move data between sheets until now, and a noob at Numbers. I am lost.

Kind regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. Can you take this one step at a time?

OP
V
Reaction score
ok.

I have 1 Numbers document, containing 3 sheets.
The first, is a summary, the others are sales and Deliveries. To help better manage stock within the company.
I wish to transfer the data from sheet 2/3, too sheet 1. Is that possible?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi, I dont post here too often, but needing some help.
I tried searching older threads without any success!

I am asking, because I have a project for work, I have been asked to update our stock system, that uses excel.
Now I know Numbers isn't excel, but it can save the created, numbers projects to the excel format. This I know how to do!

I have 3 in total, I use the first to summarise the entire project, and trying to bring all the most important data to this sheet!

An example been:
Sheet 3: Cell K5, has the final value, and I wish to move this to Cell J5 on sheet 1.
I assumed it would be a matter of copy/paste, but it doesn't work.
Cell J5 displays the value, within Cell K5 on Sheet 1.

Assuming you mean that these sheets are within the same file... This works in Excel for Mac:
Copy>Paste will automatically transfer all characteristics of the copied cell, adjusted for position on the sheet. So, if K5 has a formula using K4, when pasted to J5 it will use J4 instead. If you want the number in J5 to match the number in K5, use Copy>Paste Special and select Value. If you don't like the font, do that again and select Format.
But, if the value in K5 might change, and you want that change to be reflected in J5, then in cell J5, just type "=K5"

Hopefully I didn't oversimplify what you meant. If it doesn't work that way in Numbers, but it's what you want to do, post that here, or your clarification. This might help a Numbers user figure out what you want to do, and then tell you how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I rarely use Numbers but I'm going to try this scenario and see if I can find some solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I simply copied my data from Sheet 2 and pasted it where I wanted it in Sheet 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac

Kind regards.

Okay, I think I understand what you want. I just tried this so I know it works.

I made a sheet #1 Sales Summary, added sheet #2 named Joe, sheet #3 named Larry.

On Joe and Larry I had weekly sales figures and total sales. On the summary page I had a place for Total Joe and Total Larry sales. To bring only the totals to the summary sheet

1) I clicked in the summary sheet cell where I want to bring in the data
2) pressed the "=" (equal) key
3) on the left Sheets panel, clicked on the table under "Joe"
4) clicked on the cell that I want the data from
5) pressed enter

Hope this helps

Mike

Reaction score
It worked.

Okay, I think I understand what you want. I just tried this so I know it works.

I made a sheet #1 Sales Summary, added sheet #2 named Joe, sheet #3 named Larry.

On Joe and Larry I had weekly sales figures and total sales. On the summary page I had a place for Total Joe and Total Larry sales. To bring only the totals to the summary sheet

1) I clicked in the summary sheet cell where I want to bring in the data
2) pressed the "=" (equal) key
3) on the left Sheets panel, clicked on the table under "Joe"
4) clicked on the cell that I want the data from
5) pressed enter

Hope this helps

Mike

This worked! Thank You very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.