Thinkin' about a Mac

Reaction score
I'm not computer savvy. I have a PC with Windows Vista (used to have Windows XP which was okay). This Windows Vista is a hateful, frustrating, stubborn, annoying piece of junk! I know I could get Windows 7, but it's probably no good either. Enough of my rant.

I'm thinking of switching to a Mac and have lots of questions. What search engine does Mac have? I now have Google. It's the only thing I have on my PC that really works well. Can I have Google on my Mac?

I only know the basics about computers. I can install one (as I did this Dell); I only use a computer to:

Browse the net
Email
Digital photos (and email them)
Word processor
Wickipedia
Online dictionary
Paint feature sometimes

I don't download music, dvd's, I-pod, games and stuff like that.

Would I like a Mac?

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can use whatever search engine you please. Safari's search bar is for Google, but there's an app that will add other optional search engines on to that. You could also use Firefox if you prefer in lieu of Safari. Macs do everything you intend to do just fine, and with far less hassle for upkeep than Windows ever will be. Whether or not YOU will ultimately like it is uncertain, but the chances are very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Yes you would like the Mac, but since you have a recent computer you may want to try Windows 7. That would be cheaper than buying a new computer. Even though I use Macs, my wife and kids use Windows computer and I have to maintain them. Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista or XP. But you still have to put up with all the activation issues that has plagued Windows all along. Even my kids like Windows 7 better than Vista or XP. My kids also like my Macs when browsing the net and playing online games. we don't have a lot of games for the Macs so my kids still lean toward the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.88 Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2TB HD, 512 ATI Raedon
You would indeed love a Mac. Why not spend the money on Windows 7 though? Seems like a Mac would go above and beyond what you want it to do.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
20091127-ex177eewpptnehhg9dprwpj9kn.jpg

Just to show you that there are other things than google for search engines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac 2.8GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB and other stuff I don't know crap about.
O.P., You sound exactly like me two years ago when I jumped ship from winblows and bought an I mac. I Still have not used snow leopard but Tiger has been a life altering experience for me. I know you will be happier with apple operating system too. I still maintain a Dell XPS for my 12 year old son so he can game. But it has been an uphill battle with vista. And as far as upgrading to win 7, I refuse. Maybe if Microsoft wants to give it to me for free. But I won't be wasting any more of my money on their rotten software!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I have had my iMac since 2007 and the only thing I can't do with it is listen to Windows media files. Once you are on the internet you can do exactly what you did on your windows computer. It has been the best two years of my computing history. All I can say is "Try it", you'll love it.

Reaction score
Yes, you can use all of the Google products on your Mac. I use gmail and most everything else Google offers. Safari doesn't get offended when I start up a Google product. I own a small piece of Apple, Inc. and Google, Inc. so I would be very pleased if you would switch to a Mac and then install a bunch of Google apps. Then, why not head over to Starbucks for a nice beverage? :)

Reaction score
PC-Mac

Your suspicions are right I bought Windows 7 and I found that It is as plagued as there other systems.

Don't ask my why I did it, My curiosity Got the best of me.

However I was a confirmed PC user for the last twenty five Years and I even started building my own systems.

But then after all those frustrating years of viruses, And screwed up files and lack of multitasking operating systems I went to Mac, Something I should have done years ago.

But this is my opinion I can't tell what the other person should do, But based on what you are saying, I don't think you will regret making the move.

My opinion douglasa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have had my iMac since 2007 and the only thing I can't do with it is listen to Windows media files. Once you are on the internet you can do exactly what you did on your windows computer. It has been the best two years of my computing history. All I can say is "Try it", you'll love it.

Have you tried installing Windows Media® Components for QuickTime? I find it handles most Windows Media files quite well except for some of the copy-protected stuff.

Reaction score
I bought an MacBook Pro last month and love it so much that I bought an iMac 2 days ago. Very soon my wife will replace her Sony Vaio with a MacBook Pro as well and we will be fully converted. I love everything about them and I don't curse at them and threaten to throw them in the pool like I did the PC's!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.