Safari - won't load sites

Reaction score
Hi,

My Dad has a Mac with OS X 10.4.11. He's been having a lot of trouble with Safari recently. It'll work OK for about 30 seconds and then won't go to any websites. It looks like it's trying to go, but it never gets there. I updated Safari for him, but it was the same. I have a PC on the same wireless home network and the Internet works fine for me. Please can someone suggest what I can do to fix his problem?

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Options:
1. Reset Safari
2. Empty the web cache.

What Cookie setting is being used? What versions of Safari have been used with your Dad's present OS? If Safari continues to behave in the way you've described, then I suggest an alternative browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You could also try going to Library/Preferences and deleting com.apple.safari.plist. The file will rebuild itself when Safari is restarted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You could also try going to Library/Preferences and deleting com.apple.safari.plist. The file will rebuild itself when Safari is restarted.

Make sure you go to Users/YourDad'sUserName/Library/Preferences

Also note that there is another folder there called Preference Panes. Leave that one alone.

You also might want to just drag that file out of Preferences and leave it on the Desktop, just in case you want to put it back. The new one will be set to defaults, which may cause things to behave differently if he has reset anything. So, if the problems aren't solved, putting that file back and overwriting the defaults is better than manually changing things, especially since you don't know what was changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.