Safari always crashes under 10.4

F

fabio

man.

slowly but surely i'm gonna hate safari!

since tiger is installed (love it) i can't open safari throught the dock, nor the finder.

i have to lunch dashboard, turn a widget with a URL on the back, for example the flight tracker, and clickt the bookmark.

after average 3 times clicking on a widget's bookmark, safari is able to start.

i've done now over three permission repairs.

i don't want to use firefox of cause its ugly form fields (such input text, radio buttons) and the problem with rendering tiny text in anti-aliasing.

so, what can i do to get my safari worked?

OP
R

ravenstor

i'm finding safari very slow under tiger its opening but i have to refresh to get it going..hmm

otherwise tiger is very good and spotlight rocks.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Maybe you could use Pacifist to extract Safari from the cd and reinstall it.

OP
M

mikeazorin

I suggest you look for the Safari package on the installation DVD, and install it again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Did you repair permissions are the install of Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Plus how did you install it you guys? For those that safari works great, did you do a clean install? archive install? etc? What about those of you that it is not working.. what did you do?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Murlyn said:
Plus how did you install it you guys? For those that safari works great, did you do a clean install? archive install? etc? What about those of you that it is not working.. what did you do?

I did a straight upograde on my Mini from 10.3.8 -> Tiger and everything works exceedingly well, this is an awesome OS!

On my iMac on 10.2.8 I tried the upgrade and ended up with an unbootable mess, I then tried disk repair and reinstall with the same results. I've just tried an archive install and am waiting for it to re-boot .....

.... still waiting .....

.... and it works, yay!

Now I'll go find out how well it has installed on the iMac (1Ghz G4 version).

btw, did I mention how much I love this OS, it is noticably faster on my Mini and it really has some great new features. On top of that I've yet to find any problems with third party software, everything that was already installed prior to the upgrade still seems to be working and I didn't need to repair the disk or anything.

btw2, I really recommend playing around with the RSS feed features on Safari, they are pretty darn cool.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, this is me posting from the iMac, everything seems fine and dandy here as well. Not sure what went wrong with the upgrade but the archive install worked like a dream.

Safari seems ok at first glance (well I'm typing this in it at least) but everything is a wee bit slow at the moment because spotlight is busy indexing my 86,000+ files and I'm also downloading a 56Mb game demo.

Even after saying that I can still detect a speed up even on this machine (256Mb 1Ghz G4 iMac) compared to before but it was running 10.2.8 before so I would expect as much.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, as soon as I had posted that Safari crashed.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
I did just a plain ol upgrade and Safari seems to be working just fine so far, i have been up over an hour and have been to quite a few web sites using Safari and have seen no slowdowns or crashes yet anyway.

OP
F

fabio

i did a "archive and install" installation of tiger.

perhaps i'll have to say, that since the 10.3.9 when safari 1.3 was installed, safari also crashed always.
safari 1.3 crashed only, when i closed a window.

than i installed safari 1.2 again.
than it worked again, but several strings appeared as "localized string not found".

so, when i installed tiger, the system was on 10.3.9 but safari was on 1.2

could this be the problem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Murlyn said:

I was going to do an Archive and Intall, but I was in a hurry, so on my Mac Mini with 10.3.9 and 1GB RAM, I did a straight Upgrade. Did not have any problems at all. It rebooted into Tiger and everything works great. I used Safari for at least an hour, Read Anand's Tiger Review, and did a lot of other searches and not one crash or problem with Safari at all. Tiger is Great. Wish I had a Mac with a Video Card that supported Core Image but it will do! I got to see it on a Dual G5 and when adding Wiggets to Dashboard, there was this neat and SMOOTH water like effect. The mini with the ATI 9200 will not do that effect but seems just as smooth overall. Oh well, someday I will be able to afford a G5!!!

OP
F

fabio

okey, i think now it works again :)

i deleted all plugins (pdf reader, iGetter, safaristand) and all the safari prefs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.