High pitched sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
I have the new 15" Powerbook Aluminum and noticed that every so often, about once every two days, I hear this high pitched squeaking sound coming from underneath the keyboard. It's definitely a very different sound than when the hard drive is spinning. It doesn't happen while running any specific application. It just happens for a few seconds and then stops. Is this something that I should be worrying about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Go into system preferences and energy saver and change your preferences in there..hopefully that should take care of it. There are quite a few reports of this working and that's what they did.. they reduced the cpu load by changing that energy saver setting.

Or look really really close.. you might have accidentally set your PB on a mouse.. poor mouse.. j/k :)

B

brody

well **** me.
i read your post last night and thought to myself...phew, mine doesn't do that. but, i heard it a few different times today. the exact description of the noise you were talking about. it happened while i was surfing the web and new pages were loading. this thing is only a week old and i haven't been able to tear myself away from it yet. did you figure out a way to stop the noise? let me know...i'm not sure i understood murlyn's reply. are you suggesting it's the processor and reducing the load in energy saver prefs will stop it?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
even as we speak the sound is going off right now so obivously i have yet to find a solution to this problem. it's not that big of a deal, but if there is a way to fix it i would love to find out what it is.

and i too had a hard time understanding what murlyn said. exactly what am i supposed to do in the energy saver menu? elaborate please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.