trouble creating partition with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2009 | iPhone (Verizon)
Hello all! I'm new here, clearly ;P I hope you can help me with my issue here...as i have no idea what to do :)

In an attempt to install windows 7 over my already existing partition of windows xp and osx snow leopard, I proceeded to do something without thinking...I went straight to bootcamp and deleted the XP partition. When i went to create a new partition, It gave me this error:

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Unfortunately, this is my first mac and I have no idea what that means. I went to Disk Utility and couldnt find a format button. If I could get some Instructions, I may just have to stay here :D

Here is some information about my mac...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.41f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Reaction score
Can you boot into OSX? If so, go to disk utility and verify/repair your disk permissions and then verify/repair your disk. It will take several minutes to complete. Start with that and see if it helps.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am in OSX at the moment. I have entered disk utility and I have options for either Macintosh HD or 320.07 GB Hitatchi HTS5... Which one do I do it for?

Edit:
Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Thats what I got when i repaired the Main HD, Im going to repair the MAcintosh HD right now...

Edit2: I got the same thing for the second repair on the MacHD. Idk what that means?

Edit3:
I did as you directed, And I still have the same problem :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Radeon3:

What Sammy meant to tell you is that in order to verify and repair your disk you must boot from your install media. You can not verify and repair the disk while it's mounted. You can, however, repair permissions on a mounted volume.

Also.... How did you delete the XP partition? The correct way is to use the Boot Camp assistant to remove it while in OS X. If that's what you did, then the error message you received really is saying that you do not have enough contiguous space on your HD to create a new partition for Boot Camp.

You can resolve that by first backing up your OS X installation using Time Machine (to an external HD). Then boot from your install media and select utilities from the top menu. Then from that menu, select Disk Utility. Now you'll be able to erase and format the drive. During the restore phase (installing OS X from your install media) you'll be asked if you have a backup. Point the installation to your Time Machine backup. After it finishes, you should be good to go.

BTW, you can install Win 7 over the top of XP. All you had to do was insert the Win 7 DVD while XP was running. Win 7 would have wiped out XP (it saves it to a backup folder) and then sets up a new installation of itself.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every manual i looked at said i had to install it from the boot...oh well.

Alright i read what you wrote and I am almost sure I understand. When you say install media, i presume that you mean The Win 7 disk? Also what do you mean "mounted"? I'm not sure what that term means.

The way I preformed the removal of the original bootcamp was as you stated, through bootcamp in OS X.

Ok, So how do i go about backing up my OS X Installation to Time Machine? Time machine is currently taking periodic backups but is that backing up The OS X Installation?

Im actually pretty confused now lol
Can you explain the whole process in depth if possible? I mean i am a college student but this is my first mac. I'm normally a PC guy ;P

Sorry! but thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Every manual i looked at said i had to install it from the boot...oh well.

I understand. There was quite a bit of confusion regarding upgrading from XP or Vista to Win 7. Instructions really were not clear enough. Anyway, too late now. Just file it away for future reference.

Alright i read what you wrote and I am almost sure I understand. When you say install media, i presume that you mean The Win 7 disk? Also what do you mean "mounted"? I'm not sure what that term means.

By install media, I'm referring to your OS X install DVD. Mounted in this case means that your internal disk is up and running. Obviously, you can not repair a disk while it's running the operating system.

The way I preformed the removal of the original bootcamp was as you stated, through bootcamp in OS X.

OK. That's fine. Just making sure you did it correctly.

Ok, So how do i go about backing up my OS X Installation to Time Machine? Time machine is currently taking periodic backups but is that backing up The OS X Installation?

If you've been making backups using Time Machine, you already have a backup of your entire Mac OS X disk. The periodic backups are done to copy the changes that take place each time you start and use the system.

Im actually pretty confused now lol
Can you explain the whole process in depth if possible? I mean i am a college student but this is my first mac. I'm normally a PC guy ;P

Sorry! but thanks!

It's understandable that you are a bit confused. It happens to most of us who were PC users over the years. The entire process of getting things back to normal sounds complicated but it's really not.

If you can't get things going by yourself, send me a PM in the forum and I'll reply with some additional instructions. Make reference to this thread.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright Thank You very much. Greatly Appreciated! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.