Quick Q (Time Machine)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
Can you use time machine to backup to an internal disk? If not, does Deja Vu work? I might use my new HD as a backup. I don't know how to use either but I know the y are backup programs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can backup to an internal drive with Time Machine. It does not allow you to back up to the boot drive if I remember correctly since a failure of that drive would likely take out the backup as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
You can backup to an internal drive with Time Machine. It does not allow you to back up to the boot drive if I remember correctly since a failure of that drive would likely take out the backup as well.

I just tried time machine, it doesn't like my HD so i went with deja vu, and it works. Thanks for the help. When I finally reformat my drive I know it should work now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What did it not like about your hard drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What did it not like about your hard drive?

It was formatted for windows, so I guess it didn't like it. I actually managed to fit all of my important stuff on a 32GB flash drive so I reformatted it for mac and am using Time Machine now anyway. Took all night to do the first backup, but now it's nice and quick.

Now I have a question, I do not have any working OS disks (Mine are too scratched to use) and I am worried about a hard drive failure. After all, this is an 8 year old machine we are talking about. If I use either time machine or deja vu, do both make complete copies of the HD that can be made bootable if something were to happen? If my primary fails, it would be nice to know I can just hit a key and I can boot off of the backup then too. In fact, the only reason I took the HD out of my windows machine is because it doesn't really need a backup since I have at least 2 OS disks for windows XP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you had Time Machine copy all of your System files it would have all the information but the copy would not be bootable. You would still need a CD or DVD with Time Machinee.

Here;s ine solution for a bootable copy now that Time Machine recognizes the drive. Add a clone of your boot setup to your Time Machine Drive. Now there is a bootable drive that also has your Time Machine backups. This Overview of Time Machine describe that better as well as provide some other good tips fro using Time Machine. ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well If I were to just drag and drop the files since I do not have the installation disks, which would I need, and would the correct files make it bootable? I do not have enough room to clone a copy of my drive onto the disk and then use time machine, both drives are the same size and I have only 20GB of 80GB free on both. Is there another way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.