Install DVD (that comes with a new iMac)

Reaction score
Hi all,

This probably a really stupid question, but I don't know the answer so here goes!

I read through the 'everything about Mac' booklet that came with my new iMac, and got the impression that the 2 discs you get with it are for re-installing if things go wrong.

However.....I just opened the user guides installed on the Mac and the first thing it tells you to do is insert the Install DVD so you can install Snow Leopard.

Should I use the discs now? Or are they in case of errors etc?

Thanks (again!!! What would I do without you guys?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The machine probably came with Snow Leopard already installed and if so you do not need to do another install. The discs are very important as they contain not only the Snow Leopard operating system, but utilities to maintain your machine such as Disk Utility to repair the hard drive, and Apple Hardware test which checks everything out from memory to logic board to graphics card.

Keep them in a very safe place.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To be sure click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Then on About This Mac. Does it say 10.5 or 10.6?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey thanks. I figured it would already be installed, so just checking!

The About This Mac says it's 10.6.2 so I guess there's the answer!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.