self-assigned IP address

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been having trouble with Airport (built into my year and a half old iMac).

I have my internet modem connected via Ethernet to my iMac. I share my internet connection via Wifi with my iPod Touch and a PC laptop with Wifi dongle.

Since a Leopard update a few months back (10.5.2 I think) I've been having trouble with connecting my laptop and iPod via Wifi to my iMac. They both recognize my iMac's network, but I have trouble connecting to the Internet.

It's an 'off and on' problem - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes turning Airport and/or Internet Sharing off and on again works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've upgraded to Snow Leopard, and even deleted the plist file for my Airport preferences to try to start fresh. (Which seems to have helped so far, but I only did that about an hour ago.)

In System Preferences, I have this message in my Airport pane:

"AirPort has the self-assigned IP address _____ and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

I've tried searching for a solution, but I'm not really sure which keywords to use or how to specifically describe my problem.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I wouldn't post your I.P. live on the internet:)

Use the "Assist Me" button in the preference pane to create a new IP. I had this problem a while back and this was the only solution I could find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
But if your iMac is connected by ethernet to the modem then why are you wanting the airport to connect to the internet? the iMac already has the connection and IP assigned by the modem. Sounds to me that the Airport is providing the network for the other devices.
Might be worthwhile to download and install this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
T
Reaction score
I want my iPod Touch and laptop to connect to the internet via Airport, so that the internet would be going from the modem to my iMac then via Wifi to my iPod and laptop.

That message may be irrelevant, but I'm clutching at straws. I have a yellow indicator in System Preferences for my Airport instead of green, and the only thing I have to go on is that it's a self assigned IP address and just maybe that has something to do with my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.