converting older Excel files

Reaction score
hi,
firstly im new to this... just switched from pc a few days ago and although lovin my MAC im having a few teething troubles/ frustrations!

in fact i have soooo many but will try to just focus on one at a time..:D

Thankfully id backed up my old pc before it died and have loaded all the files on the new machine, however when i try to add data to the spreadsheets i get a message saying that i can only open as READ ONLY, any changes will not be saved.

So.... can anyone tell me how to convert these files to MAC friendly format and therefore one i can edit.

Thanks
Mrs p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What are you using to open them?

Should be able to use 'Save As' whichever app you're using.
(They're called applications instead of programs.)

You could also open Finder (the OS X version of Windows Explorer - you can open it by clicking on the smiley face icon at the far left side of the dock or by double clicking on the MacIntosh HD icon on your desktop).

Locate one of the files in question - right click on it and select Get Info - at the bottom of that window, you'll see Sharing and Permissions - try changing the permission there to give your user 'Read&Write' privilege.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Nothing to do with a Suggestion or Comment for the Forums.
Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
There is help out there if you want general info - look here and here for a couple of interesting sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.