Getting access to "Internet Sharing" in the system prefs

Reaction score
Howdy all-

The college I attend requires us to lease laptops from them as part of their laptop program. Unfortunately, they have a great deal of tweaks done to them to prevent the average college student from inadvertently opening up the network to attack (which is pretty futile, since students put wireless routers in their rooms anyway).

At any rate, as part of this initiative, they have somehow completely removed the "Internet Sharing" option under the system preferences>sharing pane. I want to enable ethernet internet sharing so I can give my xbox wiresless access while I'm at home.

Is there any way around this? A terminal command, or a way to restore that option in the preference pane?

Thanks,
James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Well. The short answer is yes. All you would need to do is add the "SharingPref.prefPane" file into "System\Library\PreferencePane\" which I suspect is what they did since it easily gets rid of the pane without damaging the system. Problem is you'll need to find someone with the exact version you need and I somehow doubt someone has it online. On Snow Leopard it's version 4.0. Have no idea what system you have. Good luck though.

OP
X
Reaction score
Alright, well that's a step in the right direction. I'm on 10.5, so if anyone has any idea where I could pick that file up, I'd appreciate it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.