iPhone to Unlock or not. That is the question

Reaction score
Hey Guys I really need your advice and input.

I know there's gotta be some iPhone unlocking and jailbreaking pro's out there who can help me. Recently we've moved from the US to France and will be here for the next 6 months. We just got our Iphone 3G (not the new ones released this summer bu the one that came out last summer) this past summer and I love it. I am trying to find the best way to be able to use it while we're living in France for the next 6 months without having to pay a fortune. Does anyone have any good suggestion on how to go about this. I have read a couple of blogs that says to go ahead and unlock and jailbreak but I'm not sure how this works and scared of all the worms and problems that may come along with doing this.

So finally what is the best way to go about doing this. We have AT&T, 2 iphones and would really love to know what to do with our accounts (put it on hold till we come back to the states in June?) and how to be able to use them while in Europe. I appreciate all the advice and apologize upfront if this is the wrong place to ask. Thank so much for your advice.

Reaction score
I'd just rent a Euro phone for that short a period--you'll get a far better rate and service and then have a pristine iPhone when you return. I read somewhere (David Pogue maybe a year ago) that more and more travelers leave their iPhones at home and rent in the EU if there for a lengthy trip. Much more economical but you might want to cost out rental with iPhone US account versus iPhone foreign charges. ATT might either be willing to cut you a better deal or put the account on hold while you travel.

Just my opinion and perspective, but I would never jail-break my iPhone--more than all the problems (viruses, crashes, etc.) I'd worry that one of these days ATT or Apple may do what Microsoft did recently to XboxLIVE hackers--kill the account for violation of terms of service or "brick" the phone. If I ever felt my iPhone was not the best for me as it is, I'd go out and buy what I thought was better. Hasn't happened, even with Droid so far. But ATT's lousy coverage and whining CEO are increasingly annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
i have it unlock and haven't had any regrets

Reaction score
I'm going to send you a pm about the software I used to unlock mine
that worked out ok with any problems at all.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks you guys I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to call ATT tomorrow and see what they say

Reaction score
open or not

i totally appreciate your moral feelings in unlocking and jailbreaking the iphone!!

but its not a big deal to think in that way , its simply changing the settings to our or ones needs.

talking about me i personally jailbreaked my iphone and dont have any repent doing that.

Reaction score
i totally appreciate your moral feelings in unlocking and jailbreaking the iphone!!

but its not a big deal to think in that way , its simply changing the settings to our or ones needs.

talking about me i personally jailbreaked my iphone and dont have any repent doing that.

lol moral feelings... The phone is your property you can do with it what you want.

My friend actually jailbroke my phone without me knowing it, and I love it. Wish he had done it for me sooner. Opens the door to many many possibilities

Reaction score
Hey Gary, could you send the info to me as well? I would appreciate it, Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.