Stacks dotted outlines

Reaction score
Since upgrading from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.2 stacks sometimes have a delay in loading.

When I click on the stacks on the dock the they opens fine but oftentimes there are blacks with a white dotted outline for a second or two before loading their icons.

this happen even if a don't make any change to the stack in beetween.. ie it can open fine (without delays) for let's say 5 times then at the sixt time i have the dalay, and the 8 times good and 1 bad
and so on

here are the links to an image and a short movie that document the issue

http://i38.tinypic.com/eo65s.jpg

YouTube - Stacks white dotted outlines

(sometimes the dotted icons stay longer before getting correctly drawn
(between one and two seconds)

does anybody have the same issue? or any idea of the cause?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
I have the same issue with the Downloads stack. I don't think it's a problem to be honest. This happens to me only when I have multiple file types (which are all available as icon preview). Mind if I ask what your system specs are?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would you really want all of that loading and staying resident in memory?

Taking up memory that your apps may need now?

Really?

Didn't think so.

Reaction score
I never have understood why people respond to threads with "well, it doesn't bother me" replies so..." replies. It is the opposite of helpful.

I have the same issue, and as you mentioned, it only began after upgrading to Snow Leopard. I'm hoping this is a bug that will be addressed in a future release.

I certainly do clasify this as a problem. I don't know why it worked prior to SL, but obviously something has changed. The amount of RAM required to keep that information at hand would be inconsequential, and as the issue slows down work flow, it should be fixed.

As for my machine, I'm running on a MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2gb

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not a bug.

For all of those items to appear instantly, all the time, they would have to be loaded into memory and stay there all the time. Which means that memory space would not be available for apps that you are actually running.

It would not be inconsequential to me and I am sure not inconsequential with many other folks that only have 1 GB of memory in their machine and some of those with PPC machines running Leopard with even less memory. I have over 150 items in my apps folder, nearly 500 in the documents folder and there could be as many as another 50-100 in my downloads folder at a time. Personally, I do not want all those 750 images loaded into RAM on a permanent basis.

Not that I know exactly what they've done to improve memory usage between 10.5 & 10.6, but if 10.6 is dumping that stuff from memory more frequently and only loading them when required, then I say that is an improvement, not a fault.

The same ones asking for this would want Finder to instantly display these images also. Now we're not talking about a few hundred, we're talking about a few thousand thumbnails being stored in RAM or the info required to display the appropriate thumbnail.

Reaction score
Obviously it was somehow handled differently prior to Snow Leopard because I only have the problem when running that OS. As to folders with large numbers of files, it would still be possible for the OS to save the state of folders with x number of items while ignoring folders with y number of items.

In the end, I find it hard to believe that something that caused no problems prior to SL is not a bug. Time will tell if Apple decided to treat this as a bug or not...I hope they do.

OP
N
Reaction score
i would not make vague agruments about memory usage improvements just to let us aware of the fact you know memory management exist

the fact is that i have powerful macbook pro with 4G ram and NEVER had problems of dotted stacks icons on any of 10.5.x or erlier versions of the OS

there is definitely something wrong going on with stacks that makes the user experience horrible (i think Apple would do everything to solve the issue if it became aware of it)

It is not a bug.

Not that I know exactly what they've done to improve memory usage between 10.5 & 10.6, but if 10.6 is dumping that stuff from memory more frequently and only loading them when required, then I say that is an improvement, not a fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.