MBP 15in 2.53Ghz vs 2.66Ghz

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here at the Mac Forums.

I've recently been browsing the Apple site and the MBP line has caught my eye. And I've narrowed it down to the two laptops listed above.

I understand that this is a commonly asked question, but I'm having trouble deciding whether I need the extra 9600M graphics card.

What I plan on using my MBP for would be some photoshop work, maybe a little WoW from time to time.

Money is kind of an issue. I have enough money for the 2.53 Ghz, but not for the 2.66. Is the 9600M graphics card that much better then the integrated graphics card that it's worth the 300 dollars? Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wouldn't say that it's that much better, however for gaming it's better to have a dedicated card. Otherwise your game is going to lag on the higher settings because it has to share memory with the rest of the system. The 300 dollars is not just for the GPU it's also for a faster processor.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

And I understand that the 300 dollars is just no for the GPU, but is .13 more Ghz even that big?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

And I understand that the 300 dollars is just no for the GPU, but is .13 more Ghz even that big?

No it's not. Sadly you won't be able to even tell the difference. Higher resale value though. >_<"

OP
D
Reaction score
So even if I don't get the 9600M graphics card, would I be able to run PS or WoW at a reasonable fps?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.