New 40g HD for my iPod and won't mount!!!

F

Flaps45

Not too long ago I posted that my 40gb iPod just toasted my hard drive, I recently bought a replacement brand new HD on ebay, just installed it and when I plug this on my laptop won't read it or format, basically nothing happens, I'm using the iPod updater and after a long wait says CAN't MOUNT IPOD, any suggestions?...Has anyone replaced a HD on their Ipod any guidance?
Thnx in advance you guys are great.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

is it in you disk utilites... (applications->utilites-> disk utilites) try to mount it from there if so also try to format the disk

OP
F

Flaps45

Thx xthisis but I'm using windows and won't even show up on my computer, it just keeps on working I can hear it working but nothing happens, I'm wondering if there is some software I have to download or something I have to do to make it work, the drive is brand new and seems to work great

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

dont worry man i havnt gave up on you... im looking how to get the ipod firmware onto the new hd..ow a way to format it...or something

OP
F

Flaps45

I've got the 2005-03-23 just checked and that is it I guess, but this is the one I'm using right now and nothing this is weird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well Windows has a disk utility equivalent that might be useful!

Go to 'My system settings' (or whatever it's called) and then select 'Administration' (at least that's what it's called in german..)

Then select 'Computer administration' (again I'm translating here)
and see if you can find your iPod under data management.

You should be able to right-click on the iPod's drive and select 'format'.

Try seeing if it will mount then...

OP
F

Flaps45

I also tried that, the thing is that not even the ipod won't recgnize the drive, (my guess), whjen I turn it on the folder with the exclamation sign appears on the screen, then resets itself and again and again, so when I plugg it in the PC yes windows knows there is something there but won't recognize it either, won't show up, My best guess is that since this isa new drive needs to be formatted for the pod and the PC to accept it
so far I'm about to just give up...no progress, but thanx to all of you that have suggested here, many thanxs

OP
F

Flaps45

Just tried that page and nothing still, should I just forget it and buy something else?...definatelly not an iPod, this one cost me 650$ so far and broke within a yr...I don't know what to do anymore, but thanx iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That's very depressing, I'd be mad too. If you still find that you can't do anything with your iPod, and you don't want to get it repaired. Put it on eBay. People will definitely buy broken stuff, because they need spare parts for just about everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Flaps45 said:
just checked and is more than a yr old, bought it on oct 2004

Doesn't that mean it's 7 months old? Or did you mean 2003?

If you're getting the exclamation point symbol and the link mentioned above doesn't help, you may want to consider:

1. Sending it to Apple for repair
and if that doesn't outweigh the cost of a new one..
2. Put it on eBay, use the proceeds to get a new generation model.

Good luck!

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

ok, weird... i was stting at my work today and a fellow friend of ine (jusf switched to mac) ipod screwed up and he was getting the yellow folder.. I erased it using the ipod software and the i flshed the firmware and the restored it and it is back and running

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.