Renaming a Mailbox deleted all of its subfolders

Reaction score
Hi there,
Am new here so please excuse any dumb
Am feeling a cold chill up my spine, I really hope someone can help?!
I was renaming my mailbox folders in 'Mail'.
I successfully renamed about ten of them without any problems.
Then I tried to rename one mailbox called 'Uni' into 'uni' (lower case).
I then got a warning dialog telling me that ''The mailbox folder 'Uni' has not been renamed properly''. I clicked 'OK'.
I saw that there were now 2 mailbox folders, one named 'Uni' (upper case) which had been greyed out 'phantom-like', and one named 'uni' (lower case) which was still in the normal blue.
When I clicked on the phantom 'Uni' mailbox I saw that it was completely empty. So I deleted it, thinking that since it was empty, this was not an issue.
However, I was then mortified to see that that in the 'uni' folder (lower case) all of its subfolders, (there used to be 3 of them) which had contained hundreds of very important emails, did not exist any more!
When I tried to back up and 'undo' the rename, there was no undo option.
Does anyone out there know what I can do to get my subfolder emails back? I have searched for them on my entire system but they are nowhere to be seen :((((
Any help would be a most appreciated

Yours (in a cold sweat!)

Adrian :Oops:

Reaction score
I believe that if you had left the lower case "uni" folder where it was and renamed it back, it would have still been there, but since you've done something that a lot of people would do, I'd read up on this article, which may give you a solution.

Regards;D

OP
A
Reaction score
I believe that if you had left the lower case "uni" folder where it was and renamed it back, it would have still been there, but since you've done something that a lot of people would do, I'd read up on this article, which may give you a solution.

Regards;D

Hi Sur3Mac

Thanks a lot for this reply, for some reason I don't think I saw it at the time - in fact you were 100% correct, that was the issue - the lower case v upper case thing.

Sorry I never saw your post. I posted the issue in several forums and lost track of this one, excuse me for not responding sooner :)

Adrian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.