App to pull audio from a saved movie clip

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have a movie clip that I want to take just the sound from, is this possible and if so what is the best method of capturing the audio only from a saved movie clip?
thank you

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have iMovie installed this is pretty easy. The process varies slightly from version to version. Search Help for something like "remove" audio. Currently you select a clip. Choose "Detach Audio" from the edit menu and the audio track appears as a purple icon and can be manipulated as needed.

If you don't have iMovie check out Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X. It is a free program that features some nice video editing tools and can export files in several formats. One option is to export audio. The program is free but you will need to purchase and install Apple's MPEG component for QuickTime to work with MPEG files. A link is on the Streamclip website.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome rockmastermike. Glad to help.

@ ArrowJ I completely forgot that Audio Hijack could do that. I don't use it as much as I used to so sometimes I forget what it can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.