Strange noises...new P "17

F

fthanshar

Hi,

On Monday I recieved my new PB "17. I love it but....today I set the Processor performance to highest and a strange buzzing sound can be heard from the vent area, roughly in the upper right (actually it is hard to pinpoint). It is very different from the "whoosing" sound of my left fan which is usually running. Is this the second fan? and if so does it sound different or is mine broken :(

It is not very loud but one can definatly hear it.

I am scared it has something to do with the processor so i am leaving the Processor performance setting on automatic for now. The sound is made with the AC adapter plugged in and without it when Processor performance is set to highest.

Hopefully someone knows what this could be..

Thanks alot,

Frank

OP
H

Haddy

Maybe a fan with a bad motor. Barrings may be bad, as this will usually case an annoying whine buzzing type sound. Best bet would be to take it up to an Apple Store if possible and let them hear it.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

i would think the reason it does this when the AC adapter is pluged in is becasue when you plug in the adapter it swithces it to the highest proccessor performance..
-
as stated above if possible take it in hopefully it is the fan.

OP
F

fthanshar

Not just when A/C is plugged in

Hi,

xthisisRomancex, this does not happen when the A/C is plugged in exactly. If the Processor is set to Highest it only does this. When the setting is "Automatic" and the A/C is plugged in it does not occur even with heavy use.

When a CD or DVD is inserted into thye Superdrive the sound does not occur even with the right fan blowing fast which makes me think it may not be te fan...

I hope it is the fan...actually i hope its nothing since the PB is only 2 days old......

Thanks for the replies!

Frank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.