Mail - accounts settings

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a shiny new iMac which I'm loving (and spitting on my old Windows PC!!!!)

I'm trying to set up mail. I have managed to get it so it receives all my mail etc, but I need it to send outgoing messages as if they are from another account.

Just to explain so you know what I'm trying to do. I have many different email addresses that I use, but I only use one mailbox. This means depending on who I'm mailing I can keep my original address to myself. This stops spammers getting hold of the address. I also use different addresses for different things so different people will mail me on different accounts. I need to reply to them from the account they mailed to, so they only use that address.

I redirect all my mail from all my addresses to one mailbox, as this keeps everything together. Also I own different domains but unless I pay extra on them I only get a forwarding account, so couldn't have a separate mailbox even if I wanted one (which I don't!)

I want to be able to compose a message and select which account it goes from. Here's the problem, I can't seem to set up an account without setting up incoming mail servers, but there are none as the accounts aren't mailboxes. It won't let me use the settings for the mailbox I already have set up, so that's a no go.

I see there is an option to add a "reply to" field, but this adds this as an extra field with the mail still saying it's coming from my mailbox address, so this is no good either.

Any ideas?? I know I should be able to set up accounts so they appear to come from an address that they aren't.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post, thought it best to explain what I need it for, so you understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can't do this with Mail, iirc. I know Mailsmith can do this, and now that it is free, I can recommend that if you don't need support for IMAP support. Barring that, PostBox can do this and while it is not free, it is an excellent email client and easily one of the best available for OS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
He, he, you just beat me to it, I was about to post to say that I figured out how to do it.

Well.....rather I did it by fluke, so not sure I could repeat it! Either way I'm sorted thanks!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u set up more than one account in Mail you get to choose which address email is sent from but if you only want to use one SMTP address why not use that in each of the accounts.

Click for full size

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Collin,

Thanks for your reply. I have sorted it now so I'm fine. the problem was setting the accounts up in the first place as it wouldn't let me set up an account for an address that I didn't have a mailbox for. I basically want to set up an account to look like it's coming from an address which it's not.

The reason I need to do it is because I use different email addresses for different things so it depends who I'm emailing as which account it comes from. However it's less confusing for all incoming mail to go to the same server, especially if checking mail on webmail when away from home.

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh.....and as I said some of my domains I own only come with email forwarding anyway, so I don't want to have to pay extra to get mailboxes that I don't actually want or need just because my email program won't do what I need it to!

Luckilly I've sorted it, so I'm a happy bunny now!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.