Can't delete file in OS X 10.6.2

Reaction score
Aha!

I've visited this forum a dozen times (same problem for weeks now) and thought I'd make my first post here...I Googled something and found:

Solving Trash Problems

Follow the steps under "Empty and recreate an account's Trash"

- Good luck!

Reaction score
Hey guys! I had the EXACT same problem. I had 10.6.2 and downloaded sixtyforce but it wouldn't delete when i no longer needed it. This is how you delete it permanently. Make sure sixtyforce is in the trash. Click on and hold the trash can. Instead of clicking "Empty Trash" hold the command button. While holding the command button instead of it saying "empty trash" it will now say "Secure Empty Trash" Click on secure empty trash, click ok and there you go! Please question me if this does not work

Thank you for your post! I found the answer on that website

Reaction score
this is odd, I also had this problem with sixtyforce!
and the process using it was... Finder.
easily solved killing finder and then removing with rm, but still ***.

Reaction score
Well, all these suggestions are not only risky for those who don't know what they're doing like myself but they're also unnecessary. I had the same problem and couldn't find a way to delete it when I accidentally happened to stumble upon this solution.

1) Simply click "Finder" next to the apple logo on the top left hand corner.
2)Click "Secure Empty Trash"
3) Agree to the prompt.
4) Done.

This worked for me so yea... Happy emptying your trash! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, all these suggestions are not only risky for those who don't know what they're doing like myself but they're also unnecessary. I had the same problem and couldn't find a way to delete it when I accidentally happened to stumble upon this solution.

3) Agree to the prompt.
4) Done.

Secure empty trash is different to force empty trash, which in this case is what the OP has been trying to do, and a running process has not made this possible!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro and iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Secure Empty Trash

go to finder then click
finder --> secure empty trash
worked for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
hey guys! I had the exact same problem. I had 10.6.2 and downloaded sixtyforce but it wouldn't delete when i no longer needed it. This is how you delete it permanently. Make sure sixtyforce is in the trash. Click on and hold the trash can. Instead of clicking "empty trash" hold the command button. While holding the command button instead of it saying "empty trash" it will now say "secure empty trash" click on secure empty trash, click ok and there you go! Please question me if this does not work

thank you for your post! I found the answer on that website

boom! Done! Thanks.

Reaction score
This is how to fix the sixtyforce problem!

3) Agree to the prompt.
4) Done.

This worked for me too!!! Haha...funny to think how simple of a solution this was, makes me feel pretty retarded for not figuring it out myself.

Reaction score
Solved the can't delete sixtyforce problem

Hey guys,

If you place the sixtyforce file in the trash then go to Finder>Secure Empty trash it will delete it permanently and apparently stop whatever is using it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.