Cant install iLife after erase and install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 Black,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 ghz, 2GB mem, 250 GB HD
First.....Thanks for all the great info in this forum. A friend of mine recently bought a Macbook Pro, so i got his Black little over a year old Macbook. I love the Mac and will never go back to Windows.

I did a erase and install after i got it. Then popped the Snow leopard disk in to update that. I realize that iLife is on the original boot disks. I clicked install bundled software only and then it asked for disk 2, which i gave it. After awhile it gives me an error saying......

"There were errors with the installation. You may want to try reinstalling"......then below that it reads....."The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software man. for assistance."

I have done a search and can not find a solution to my problem. I did a hardware test and verify disk and all seems ok.

Any ideas? Im really getting frustrated trying to get this on my Mac.

Thanks,

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
You won't be able to install using that method. You'll need software called "Pacifist" in order to extract the applications you want from the installers. Here's the link.

Or you can "purchase" a new iLife '09 DVD, but you won't be able to install it from the restore disc because it's tied to OS and hardware.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Sorry, looking over the websites. It seems it's a hit or miss, some people have gotten it to work using the method above and some people didn't. I honestly don't use iLife at all so have no idea what the situation is. Sorry for the misinformation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am assuming here from what you said, you have the original discs that came with the machine.

Clean the discs even if they don't look like they need it. I just use plain water and wipe from the inside out in a straight line, not in a circle around the disk.

When you get to the screen 'Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer', click 'Continue'.
On the next screen, click on the 'Customize' button. I would suggest you uncheck everything except the iLife suite apps. These would be iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie and iPhoto.

You could also try the GarageBand Demo Songs, Sounds & Jingles, and ComicLife. That's all I'd try. Some of the other apps listed there probably will not work with Snow Leopard.

Just tried it with my original Tiger discs and worked fine with SL. Although I only installed iMovie HD. (Didn't want all of that stuff since I have a more current iLife.) Some of the stuff listed on my Tiger discs are definitely system and I would think even OS specific, so I'm not surprised that they would not install.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 Black,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 ghz, 2GB mem, 250 GB HD
Thanks.....I cleaned the disks. They did not appear dirty but it did work. Its so frustrating thinking i spent probably 7 hours trying to get this to work and it came down to a simple disk cleaning. Maybe im to used to windows, assuming its a complicated problem. LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.