• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony Handycam not Recognized by Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi
I recently brought a new 2009 13" Macbook Pro (running Mac OSX snow Leopard) and have tried to connect my Sony Hi8 Digital Handycam model number DCR-TRV320E via a brand new firewire cable (9pin to 4pin), however when i plug it in nothing happens, it is not recognized.
In system profiler it doesn’t say anything, but then sometimes it says "Warning unable to list devices".
Imovie doesn’t recognize it either.
I download the trial version of Adobe Premiere CS4 and tried that, but it goes straight to the isight and list no other devices.
It used to work on my PC (windows XP)
I am new to macs so perhaps i have missed something or is my camera just not compatible with Macs??
I have no other firewire devices at home to try to see if it is all working properly but i will try and get one from somewhere.

Any ideas why it doesn’t work??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If all the failure points are working, then I would expect System Profiler to see the camera under the Firewire tab. The failure points are the cable, the ports, the software on each device.

I skimmed the manual for hints but didn't see anything. My thought was that perhaps there is a setting on the camera. Really though, even if the camera had some weird setup, I'd still expect it to at least be seen in System Profiler.

If you can, borrow another cable, or hook the camera up to another computer.

I've suggested the following before but don't recall an answer. Install QuickTime Player if it isn't already installed. It is on the DVD install disc. It will be installed in the Applications/Utilities folder.

I've seen this problem mentioned more lately and am wondering to my self if this is a Snow Leopard issue. I can't say I've seen it enough to say that though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply
I am planning to try another cable and Mac over the weekend
I have QuickTime installed
I also thought that there might be a setting on the camera but i have tried everything, also I don’t remember having to change the settings when it worked on my PC.
I have also noticed that when the fire wire cable is connected, on my cameras LCD screen says DV in, and when I take out the cable either from the computer or camera it goes away...however it is flashing, more like skipping like there is some interference.
I guess I will have more answers when I try it on another M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In Snow Leopard there is the new QuickTime X and the option of having the older QuickTime Player installed. There is a difference, so when you reference them, you should be specific.

Check you manual to see if it explains the flashing in the trouble shooting section. The fact the camera says 'DV in' suggests it believes it is connected to the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.