Need to upgrade, buy now?

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an iBook, 40gig HD, 2006, that has been lugged around in my classes for the last 3 years, daily, with students setting it up, and using it. Amazing! It has crashed less than 5 times, not including the loose battery problem. I do love it, but it is inconvenient since some days I need my PC for windows programs, and I have to remember which computer to bring which days. Here's my question(s): 1. Will windows programs run using Bootcamp? I know there are some stipulations about a simulation environment and am not sure what this means. Can I use my Microsoft Office? 2. Obviously I need a laptop and would like to get the fastest, largest hard-drive, most current operating system... are the rumors about a new operating system coming out in July true? I'm hoping that my new laptop lasts as long or longer than the iBook. 3. Why does my iBook battery last 3x longer than the laptop battery that is only 2 years old? 4. How easy is it to transfer old pics to the newer versions of iPhoto?

Thanks for your advice and for reading this. I realize you experts get asked these newb questions alot.
Sarah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
1. Yes. Yes.
2. Snow Leopard just came out late august, a new OS won't be out in July and even if that does happen, it shouldn't influence your decision to buy hardware right now.
3. No clue. Slower computer with less power sucking features perhaps? New MacBook Pros considering how fast and feature laden they are, last a long time on a charge.
4. Easy, when you set up the computer you can transfer all your old files to the new mac via usb

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Any Intel-based Apple machine will run Windows happily under either Boot Camp or under one or other of the virtual machine programs (VMFusion, Parallels or Virtual Box - the latter is free). The disadvantage of Boot Camp is that, if you regularly switch from Windows to OS X in the course of the day, you'll find yourself having to shut down one system to boot up the other. I use VMFusion and all day I'm switching between Windows applications and the Mac - without difficulty and with Office running under Windows, and Office for Mac running under OS X. The virtual machine route is the way to go if you have this kind of usage.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's my question(s): 1. Will windows programs run using Bootcamp? I know there are some stipulations about a simulation environment and am not sure what this means. Can I use my Microsoft Office?

There are several different ways to run Windows. And yes, whether in virtualization (the best way to run Windows, in my opinion) or by using Boot Camp to facilitate the installation of Windows natively on your MacBook/Pro, Windows software, including Office, will run just as it would on any other PC.

I know others have answered this as well, but I just wanted to elaborate a bit. Modern Macs are very much the same as Windows machines from a hardware perspective. Boot Camp is not so much a program that "runs" Windows as much as it is a facilitator to get Windows installed on its own partition on your hard drive. Any software that your system meets the requirements of will run just as well as it would on a similarly equipped PC.

I could go on, but I think the guide here explains everything quite well. In my opinion, if you don't need to run 3D games, a Virtualization product like VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop is the best way to run Windows bar none. Windows is completely sandboxed and if it were to get infected with a virus or other malware, it will not effect your Mac in the slightest and can be "rolled back" in a matter of minutes to a previously usable state.

2. Obviously I need a laptop and would like to get the fastest, largest hard-drive, most current operating system... are the rumors about a new operating system coming out in July true? I'm hoping that my new laptop lasts as long or longer than the iBook.

Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" was released in late August and runs only on Intel machines. If you buy a new machine now, it will come with Snow Leopard pre-installed. A new release is not expected for at least 18 months (probably longer). It has not even been announced yet.

3. Why does my iBook battery last 3x longer than the laptop battery that is only 2 years old?

Batteries are chemical in nature and are not an exact science. Depending on the way the battery was used (number of deep discharges, etc), the battery may have a greater capacity than another identical battery that wasn't used under the same conditions.

4. How easy is it to transfer old pics to the newer versions of iPhoto?

Brain-dead simple. You can connect your old Mac via Firewire or network cable to your new Mac and easily transfer all of the data using the Migration Assistant that you will be prompted to use when you startup your new Mac for the first time. At that point, you can transfer data, documents, apps and settings - although with a machine of that vintage, I would recommend just transferring data. You wouldn't want to carryover an old application or settings that could cause issues on your new Mac.

Thanks for your advice and for reading this. I realize you experts get asked these newb questions alot.
Sarah

That's what we're here for. Welcome to Mac-Forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Great advice. I will search the boards for comparison between fusion and parallels. I love the "buy now" or "hold off" link. I have an old copy of Windows XP hanging around. Just how large a partition should I give that, Windows 2007, and a couple of smaller programs? If I get a 250GB HD, should 60 hold all of that plus the docs, excells, and ppts? I figure with the uptick in video, I'd probably need some space for short videos over a few years on the other side. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.