iPhone Capacity and Data Plans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
As a current "dumb phone" owner I really like what I see from the Apple iPhone. I don't know that I'll be getting one anytime soon but I do look at the prices/plans fairly frequently.

There are a few things I continually wonder about though, and I know the good folks at Mac-Forums will be able to answer these questions easily.

1) How much storage capacity is necessary? (ie the 16 or 32GB model?) I know it varies depending on your usage so I'll try and give you an idea of what I'd use it for. I already have an 80GB iPod classic that's got about 50GB of music on it. I really enjoy having my entire music library with me at all times so I can't imagine I'd use the iPhone to store MP3's at all. My iPod goes everywhere I do! I can see myself enjoying the "apps" but I really don't think they take up that much space. I'm also not a big picture taker so again, not something that's going to chew up a lot of space. Anything else I'm missing?

2) I don't talk on the phone a whole lot either. I live in Canada so the base plan with the iPhone (Telus) is about $50 a month. That gets me more than enough minutes for voice but the data is limited to 512MB. I've heard people say that 512 is MORE THAN ENOUGH even if you watch YouTube videos all day. I've heard others say you want AT LEAST 1GB. What do you guys gals do on your phones and how much bandwidth do you use typically?

OP
The_Grudge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I'm surprised that no one on an Mac forum (after 50 views) under iPhone can answer these questions. At least the one about monthly data limits.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1) I use to be the same way about my iPod. I now have a play list on my iPhone of nothing but songs from all genre's that I REALLY REALLY REALLY like. I play it all the time, and am constantly adding more songs as I hear them/think of them. My iPod is now reserved for more categorized playlists and things for long trips or car rides. Get the biggest iPod you can afford, there is no such thing as too much space.

2) Sorry, can't help you. I talk, text and use data a lot.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1) if you don't intend to use the iPhone as an iPod, then the 16GB is more than enough just for the applications. I have a 8G iPhone and use about 4G for music and the rest for everything else.

2) Assuming you're always going to be on the cell network and never on WiFi, I imagine that 512MB is going to likely be more than enough.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry I couldn't help but I use the iPhone as I believe apple intended ! I USE mine 3000 or so texts 3-4 gigs data and 5000 or so minutes every month. Just like a new computer just by the most you can afford. You'll find yourself glad you did.

Just my opinion
clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.