MacBook GMA X3100 Dual-Head Max Resolutions

Reaction score
I'm currently running my MacBook (couple of years old Black Intel 2.2GHz with GMA X3100) with an external 17" monitor at 1280x1024.

I'd like to buy a new widescreen monitor running at full HD 1920x1080. Although this is within the maximum resolution of the graphics chip, will I still be able to run it simultaneously with the macbook's (1280x800) display? Or am I better keeping the lid shut and running a new monitor on its own?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the same chipset in my MacBook (early 2008 white) and I run both a large wide screen Samsung monitor at its native resolution and the internal monitor at the same time. Most of the time I keep the MacBook in clamshell mode and just use the external. Works great both in Snow Leopard and dual booting to Windows 7 Home Premium.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.