wireless networking

S

saus_mo

Hey there all,

when using a Powerbook, does it matter if I use an airport express basestation or do I have to use the extreme basestation. I just want to know as I wish to be able to use my laptop on the net through out the house and would like to know if i can use it as the extreme is a bit more pricey. also what would the difference be if i got the express over the extreme would i be missing out on anything important or vital?

many thanks

OP
I

IChing

If you are only using your PB and do not have a desktop to worry about then definitely get the express, I have it for my stereo and purchased it first, but later when I added to my network also have a dlink router for my VOIP phone and desktop pc. The express is nice, I can take it on the road, but the limitations are apparent because it is not a hub for other actions that I described. The Extreme is a little expensive and does not have the itune possibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
...or you could just buy a cheaper, non-Apple brand wireless router.

OP
S

saus_mo

might do what caribiner suggested, all i need is a sufficent router that i can plug into a network socket in my room so that I can use my Laptop through out the house

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i have dlink adsl modem cum wifi router, it is cool

Reaction score
the_New_guy said:
i have dlink adsl modem cum wifi router, it is cool

I use the Linksys WRT54G 802.11g Wireless Router, it works without a problem for my iMac using an airport extreme card upstairs. You may not get the cool white apple router, but you'll save about $150 getting a Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, etc. It was a pinch to set up; just plugged it in, and the iMac automatically configured it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
I have a Belkin modem/router and am awaiting arrival of my iBook and Mini to replace two aging (and near-dead) WinTel PCs...

certainly HOPING that the Macs will be able to find and use my network without any probs...

Incidentally, I understood that Airport was the equivalent of 802.11b and Extreme was 802.11g, the faster standard... is that correct?

My router's g-spec, so hopefully my whizzy broadband connection will still zoom along...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
tootallUK said:
I have a Belkin modem/router and am awaiting arrival of my iBook and Mini to replace two aging (and near-dead) WinTel PCs...

certainly HOPING that the Macs will be able to find and use my network without any probs...

Incidentally, I understood that Airport was the equivalent of 802.11b and Extreme was 802.11g, the faster standard... is that correct?

My router's g-spec, so hopefully my whizzy broadband connection will still zoom along...

Yes. "AirPort" is just Apple's trademarked name for 802.11b. "AirPort Extreme" is Apple's name for 802.11g. Apple's marketing people apparently decided that "eight oh two dot eleven bee" wasn't sexy enough.

Macs with AirPort Extreme cards will work with 802.11g routers at full "g" speeds. Some minor configuration may be necessary if you use WEP or WPA (and you should!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.