Snow Leopard, Scanning and HP Photosmart C7280

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I'm a new member of MacForum and this is my first post.

After moving to Snow Leopard I had problems in scanning using an HP Photosmart C7280 - with Leopard there were no problems and I used the HP software delivered with the printer/scanner. After searching various BBs |I found the solution was to directly use Apple's PREVIEW application which now has a scanning option in it. This worked OK. So far so good.

What I want to know is does anyone have some idea of how to change the defaults in PREVIEW so that the scanner option has the ones I use every 99 times out of a 100 (black and white - not colour, flatbed not document feeder, location of output scan etc. etc.).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Cliff

Welcome to the forum.

I have an HP PHotosmart 2575 and had to re-install drivers from the HP site before it would work with SL.

After installing, to set up preferences (not in Preview though), go to Finder / Applications / Hewlett-Packard / HP Scan (double click) then open profile settings.

That did the trick for me (well, the scanner now works) and although not the same model, may offer a solution for you.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I'm a new member of MacForum and this is my first post.

After moving to Snow Leopard I had problems in scanning using an HP Photosmart C7280 - with Leopard there were no problems and I used the HP software delivered with the printer/scanner. After searching various BBs |I found the solution was to directly use Apple's PREVIEW application which now has a scanning option in it. This worked OK. So far so good.

What I want to know is does anyone have some idea of how to change the defaults in PREVIEW so that the scanner option has the ones I use every 99 times out of a 100 (black and white - not colour, flatbed not document feeder, location of output scan etc. etc.).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Click on details

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.