Why cant i install software to an external hard drive?

Reaction score
hi there, ive recently purchased a program that intales 50GB of wav files included (toontrack superior drummer if you're interested) and i dont want to install the program to my modest macbook and would like to install it onto my LG 500GB USB hard drive. I'm having trouble installing it to the hard drive, every time i click on my hard drive it says: You Cannot Install Superior Drummer on this volume. why is this?

in disk utility my hard drive is formatted to:

Mac OS Extended

I did this the other day following instructions as i couldnt add any files to the hard drive as it was supposedly formatted wrong.

forgive me, I am really new to Mac so a step by step guide on setting up my hard drive for the program would be great!

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you actually booted from the external prior to attempting to install the software?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.