Suggestions for iMac Video System

Reaction score
Hello,

I am part of a American Sign Language group that uses a video system to play sign language videos for the deaf. I am currently wanting to upgrade the system from a dvd setup to system that will allow me to store all the dvd's on it for easy play back during teaching sessions.

I am really interested in a iMac setup. I have seen some done and wanted to get some input on a average setup that can be built for a decent price.

Here is what I think I need.

iMac 20" or 24"
Apple Remote - For simple navigation setup for classes and such.
iPod Touch - To use as a remote during class. Will a 1st generation work for this?
External harddrive - To store the video off of the main system drive for moving to new systems or incase there is ever a system crash.
UPS system

I already have a mobile TV stand I will be securing the iMac to.

The videos are not high detailed. There are images on the videos, but most of the time it is a person or persons doing sign language to explain certain lessons.

My Budget s around $700.00 This can go up some if really necessary. The group has put this money together to make this possible.

I appreciate any input you might have on this project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If all this unit is going to do is play DVDs, then quite honestly this is waaaay overkill. $700 won't come close to getting your list of items here. A simple DVD player with included remote and a cheap compatible monitor with built-in speakers will easily suffice, and cost well under $700.

Now if you plan to do far more than just play DVDs, then it might be worth looking into, but you would have to double your budget, if not triple it, unless you can find great deals on used equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.