Can you increase top toolbar size on 27 inch mac?

Reaction score
I have a real problem. I ordered a 24 inch mac and ended up with a 27 inch. Not part of this problem is the fact the first went back with flickers, the second has a nasty buzz and is going back too.

My other problem is it's just tooo big. I have had to put it behind my desk on the windowsill. And make the screen less bright (it gave me a headache).

So now i have to make everything bigger just so I can see it. EVERY darned time I change what I'm looking at on Firefox. I've changed the icon size and text size on the desktop. All my mail has been made bigger.

BUT the top toolbar remains too small to be seen. Any suggestions?

I really, really want a 24 incher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your only real option is to change the display resolution. Using a resolution lower than the LCD's native resolution will result in fuzzy fonts and graphics. I really don't recommend doing that. How did you wind up with a 27" when you ordered a 24"? If Apple did that as some sort of free upgrade for your troubles, then tell them you REALLY need a 24" and to please get it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wait, wait.. Hold the phone for a second. You ordered a 24" iMac. They sent you a 27" instead.

Where's the problem again ? Sorry, you lost me after the whole "I got a much better value than what I paid for" part ! :eek:

But on a serious note, really ? The menu bar is that small on it ? Or is it because you are keeping it so far away from you now ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I think the best solution is to go back to a PC - good chance of a different sort of headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Hey Collin, where did the OP say he ever used a PC?

To the guy saying he got better value etc....not if he paid 24" pricing for a 27" that costs less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Maybe you just need to find a better place to put it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
24"-27"....We are talking 3inches here. This is a negligible difference as far as the problem that you are describing.
This sounds like a good option for you:
LCD Protective Films | Photodon.com
Also, perhaps adjusting the light in your room/office, as poor lighting may be the cause for your headache when looking at the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
GUYS! Listen... he has the iMac set back too far from his desk likely because it doesn't FIT on his desk. I measured mine the other day to see if a 27" iMac would fit and with my hutch, I am half an inch short of it being able to fit. If I was in this guy's situation, I'd have the same problem and nothing short of a new desk would fix it. He wanted a 24" and it better suited his needs. Apple should graciously take the 27" back and give him a 24" model... upgraded with a better processor or more RAM if they really feel bad about his problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
GUYS! Listen... he has the iMac set back too far from his desk likely because it doesn't FIT on his desk. I measured mine the other day to see if a 27" iMac would fit and with my hutch, I am half an inch short of it being able to fit. If I was in this guy's situation, I'd have the same problem and nothing short of a new desk would fix it. He wanted a 24" and it better suited his needs. Apple should graciously take the 27" back and give him a 24" model... upgraded with a better processor or more RAM if they really feel bad about his problems.

I have no doubt that Apple would do exactly as you suggested if the OP were to take it up with them and follow through. For my part, using a 13" MB, and would have been ecstatic to receive a 17" MBP instead, much as I would be doing cartwheels with 27", 24", or 20" iMac, and would happily setup a new desk to accommodate it.
I think most of us are just a little envious :) ,but yes, you are right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You know, what really might help would be a photo of the desk and iMac set on the window sill. There might be a creative way to rig something up to get the monitor closer to you. Are you sitting back from the desk because it has a pull-out keyboard tray? Do you wear glasses? bifocals? trifocals? Instead of trifocals, I have 2 pairs of glasses, one for reading and computing, the other for reading and distance.

Reaction score
About those Photodon films:

Has anyone tried the Photodon.com Protective Film for their Apple 21.5" LED?
I'm just wondering how good the anti glare protection is and if it's even worth ordering?
Thanks for the help!:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.