Windows user looking at iMacs

Reaction score
Ive been toying with the idea of a new computer. mine is 4-5 yers old now and FULL of stuff including my external hd. The main thing is I want a new one that can handle and play HD video as I want to get an HD video camera. my current pc wint handle it.

so yesterday my gf was asking me weird questions and I told her to not buy me a computer for xmas as Im picky in what I get and its too much. Longstory short we ended up at Best buy and she showed me what she wants to get me.

the 27" iMac w/ LED display, has 1 TB of memory, 4 gigs ram, 3.06ghz processor and all the other bells and whistles. Its a nice looking setup and i know Apple has a nice video program (final cut).

the guy at Apple said I should go with the quad core processor upgrade if Im going to be doing HD video.

now I was almost set on buying it until a friend asked me what I was going to put the video on and he mentioned blu ray which I didnt think about. tat would be awsome.....but Mac doesnt have blu-ray. Is there anything out yet for external burners on Macs? I know final cut supports it so thats all I would need right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ive been toying with the idea of a new computer. mine is 4-5 yers old now and FULL of stuff including my external hd. The main thing is I want a new one that can handle and play HD video as I want to get an HD video camera. my current pc wint handle it.

so yesterday my gf was asking me weird questions and I told her to not buy me a computer for xmas as Im picky in what I get and its too much. Longstory short we ended up at Best buy and she showed me what she wants to get me.

the 27" iMac w/ LED display, has 1 TB of memory, 4 gigs ram, 3.06ghz processor and all the other bells and whistles. Its a nice looking setup and i know Apple has a nice video program (final cut).

the guy at Apple said I should go with the quad core processor upgrade if Im going to be doing HD video.

now I was almost set on buying it until a friend asked me what I was going to put the video on and he mentioned blu ray which I didnt think about. tat would be awsome.....but Mac doesnt have blu-ray. Is there anything out yet for external burners on Macs? I know final cut supports it so thats all I would need right?

In a word, yes. Although Apple hasn't fitted any of its machines with Blu-Ray drives, there are external solutions available and both Final Cut and Roxio's toast support Blu-Ray.

This is the drive you'd need:

OWC Mercury Pro FW800/400+USB2+eSata BluRay... (MRF8BDSD8X) at OWC

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
But be aware, there still is no application (that I'm aware of) that will play back commercial Blu-Ray movies on a Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
But be aware, there still is no application (that I'm aware of) that will play back commercial Blu-Ray movies on a Mac.

unless I run windows ive read right?

In a word, yes. Although Apple hasn't fitted any of its machines with Blu-Ray drives, there are external solutions available and both Final Cut and Roxio's toast support Blu-Ray.

This is the drive you'd need:

OWC Mercury Pro FW800/400+USB2+eSata BluRay... (MRF8BDSD8X) at OWC

So it WILL work, it will burn them, and they WILL play on my blu ray player? I havent found much searching so thats why Im asking. Ive read some will burn but not be playable on your player which I think is kinda pointless.

i think thats my only gripe as I could get a pc with internal bluray. the mac just seems much nicer and better quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

the 27" iMac w/ LED display, has 1 TB of memory, 4 gigs ram, 3.06ghz processor and all the other bells and whistles.

She's a keeper! Good thinking to keep her identity a secret. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it WILL work, it will burn them, and they WILL play on my blu ray player? I havent found much searching so thats why Im asking. Ive read some will burn but not be playable on your player which I think is kinda pointless.

I'm honestly not sure of how the BluRay codecs work. But I would imagine that if Final Cut can encode a BluRay disc, that it would do so in such a format that a BluRay player could play it.

i think thats my only gripe as I could get a pc with internal bluray. the mac just seems much nicer and better quality

Macs are usually made of nicer, high-end materials, but the underlying hardware is very similar to that of a standard PC. The real reason for buying a Mac (in my opinion) is to run OS X. But if you are content with Windows and are not prepared to make any changes in the habits you've developed over the years with Windows, you might find yourself disappointed.

That probably not what you were expected to hear on a Mac forum, but it's the truth. Macs are not for everyone.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure of how the BluRay codecs work. But I would imagine that if Final Cut can encode a BluRay disc, that it would do so in such a format that a BluRay player could play it.

Macs are usually made of nicer, high-end materials, but the underlying hardware is very similar to that of a standard PC. The real reason for buying a Mac (in my opinion) is to run OS X. But if you are content with Windows and are not prepared to make any changes in the habits you've developed over the years with Windows, you might find yourself disappointed.

That probably not what you were expected to hear on a Mac forum, but it's the truth. Macs are not for everyone.

I totally understand that, thats why Im asking around.

most people crap on Macs though about the price which to me means either a) they are cheap or b) they just havent looked into them.

I just did a side by side of a Dell xps and the Mac 27". i tried to spec them as close as possible. the dell ends up having 2 cd drives and a tiny bit more mb on the graphics card but other than that they were equipped with the same hardware and the dell got a 27" monitor. the dell was $100 more retail wise.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally understand that, thats why Im asking around.

most people crap on Macs though about the price which to me means either a) they are cheap or b) they just havent looked into them.

I just did a side by side of a Dell xps and the Mac 27". i tried to spec them as close as possible. the dell ends up having 2 cd drives and a tiny bit more mb on the graphics card but other than that they were equipped with the same hardware and the dell got a 27" monitor. the dell was $100 more retail wise.

Yep, totally agreed. I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just want to make sure you have realistic expectations (which I think you do, considering how much effort you seem to have put into your research).

OP
L
Reaction score
Yep, totally agreed. I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just want to make sure you have realistic expectations (which I think you do, considering how much effort you seem to have put into your research).

Im trying to...my girl just brought this up 2 days ago and Im trying to figure it out before black friday arrives...lol

how hard is it to upgrade a new imac? say add ram. online its $200 but what about later down the road?

i see there are no options online to upgrade the video card? is that upgradable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how hard is it to upgrade a new imac? say add ram. online its $200 but what about later down the road?

RAM is easy. There's a trap door that opens to add additional SODIMMs (laptop memory). And you don't have to get the memory from Apple, you can get it from any vendor (Crucial, NewEgg, etc).

Internal hard drive is another story.

i see there are no options online to upgrade the video card? is that upgradable?

No, it's an all-in-one system board and the GPU is soldered fast.

OP
L
Reaction score
RAM is easy. There's a trap door that opens to add additional SODIMMs (laptop memory). And you don't have to get the memory from Apple, you can get it from any vendor (Crucial, NewEgg, etc).

Internal hard drive is another story.

No, it's an all-in-one system board and the GPU is soldered fast.

hmm...maybe thats another thing to consider.

is the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB going to be ok for what I want to do? hd video editing on Final cut and blu ray?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...maybe thats another thing to consider.

is the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB going to be ok for what I want to do? hd video editing on Final cut and blu ray?

Sure, you don't need a terribly powerful video card for 2D video. If you were 3D modeling or gaming, that would be a different story.

Even still, the 4850 is a pretty strong card.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sure, you don't need a terribly powerful video card for 2D video. If you were 3D modeling or gaming, that would be a different story.

Even still, the 4850 is a pretty strong card.

gotcha...do you know if Apple has since fixed the issue's with the card I keep reading about? Im assuming so since its the only card you can get now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
If you add RAM yourself, it can void your Apple Warranty, BTW.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Really? My bad, I've been told by some people that it can void warranties. My mistake!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? My bad, I've been told by some people that it can void warranties. My mistake!

Aside from the MacBook Air, Apple even has how-tos for each Mac model on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac24 3.06 ghz 1TB HD 4 gigs ram
what's up? maybe i can help out. first off...your girlfriend is buying you an imac? must be nice. keep her.

alright, i work in IT and have had all types of pc's since the early 90s and before the internet was popular. i do high-end digital photography, HD video production to blu ray and pro audio-recording studio. let me put it to you this way...i just built an insanely fast quad core pc with 6 gigs ram and sold it 2 months after i built it....i got an imac. mine is a core 2 duo with 4 gigs ram and i edit nothing but HD video on it via final cut pro 7. i also do blu ray work with a 3rd party blu ray external burner. the 24" core 2 duo imac will be good enough for it. i have had no issues and i have edited many things for myself and clients. i'm going to be selling my really nice core 2 duo Dell pc that has been with me through thick and thin...to get a 2nd imac for audio production in my studio. never thought i would switch to apple since i loved pc so much...but...i wish i did it sooner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.